Cannot type into search box in RTL language

gor1515

Cannot type into search box in RTL language

Post by gor1515 »

I set up TextMaker with support for Arabic so as to be able to type right-to-left. There is no option to set it up for Hebrew, but Hebrew does appear as an option in Format > Character > Language for complex script. I selected it there.

I am able to type in Hebrew with no problem. However, when I try to enter text into the search box, instead of letters only boxes appear in the box.

Curiously, TextMaker knows what I've typed and searches for it correctly. However, I have no way of detecting typos in the search argument as I type it.

I've written to Support using the on-line form about a week ago. No response so far.

I am on Ubuntu 18.04, TextMaker revision 938.1004, 64 bit.

Thanks for any help.[/size]
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Cannot type into search box in RTL language

Post by sven-l »

It seems that the system font for the menus, that is used on your Ubuntu system, does not contain Hebrew characters. Could you please attach a screenshot of TextMaker with the opened Search box, so that we can see the issue here and what font is used on your side?

Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
gor1515

Post by gor1515 »

Hello Sven, and thanks for your answer.

I am not sure what you mean by 'system font.'

As you can see in the attached screen shot, the document itself is in Hebrew. Only the search box shows small rectangles instead of letters.

Typing in Hebrew works perfectly. Even the search works, *IF* you do not need to see what you type into the search box.

The same operation works flawlessly in TextMaker on Windows. There is no problem there. Only the Unix version displays this issue.

The revision number of TextMaker is identical in Windows and in Unix (rev. 942.1129, 64bit)
Screenshot from 2018-12-10 04-48-24.png
Thanks for any help!
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

The problem is that the search dialog uses a system font which doesn't seem to contain Hebrew characters. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do here. You need to configure your Linux so that a screen font is used that contains Hebrew characters.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
gor1515

Post by gor1515 »

Thanks for your help, Sven! This was indeed the problem.

For readers who might face the same situation, these are the details:
The default Ubuntu font is 'Ubuntu.' It does not contain Hebrew characters.
I used the 'Tweaks' program > Fonts, to change the 'Interface' font to FreeSans Regular, which is very similar to the Ubuntu font, except that it contains Hebrew characters. I made no other changes through Tweaks (did not modify Window Title, Document, or Monospace). That took care of the problem.

Thanks again, Sven! Your help is much appreciated.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”