Installation instructions?

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2021 for Linux. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
Woody44

Installation instructions?

Post by Woody44 »

I am a complete novice when it comes to Linux. I am interested in learning more about it, because when Windows 10 reaches end-of-support in October of 2025 I'll be stuck with seven (7) computers running Windows 10, NONE of which have the whatchamacallit thingie that's needed to run Windows 11. So I will likely jump to Linux, and I'm tempted by advice from "people" to try LMDE6 (Linux Mint Debian Edition). I hope to assemble or buy a cheap computer to use as a test platform so I can experiment. With that in mind:

Where can I find instructions on exactly how to download and install FreeOffice on a Debian platform?

Related: I have an ** OLD ** (as in, VERY old) mini-computer that's running some Debian Linux distro (not Mint Cinnamon, maybe Lxfe?). It's 32-bit. Can I find a 32-bit version of FreeOffice for Linux to experiment with on thatcomputer?

Thank you.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Installation instructions?

Post by SuperTech »

All details are available on our website, Installing FreeOffice for Linux section with the list of recommended Linux distribution out of which you can choose for your computer for best FreeOffice/SoftMaker Office support.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Thank you. I hope I can follow that. Debian is what I need -- wish me luck.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Best of luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

SuperTech wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:04 am All details are available on our website, Installing FreeOffice for Linux section with the list of recommended Linux distribution out of which you can choose for your computer for best FreeOffice/SoftMaker Office support.
You missed the part where I said I am a complete novice with Linux.

Your instructions are written by someone who understands Linux, for someone who understands Linux. When the first step is "Open a terminal window," ... that's where my eyes glaze over.

I don't mean this to be insulting. It is so commonplace in computing that it's to be expected. It goes all the way back the when IBM introduced the very first IBM PC. The company I worked for back then bought them for all project managers, with the directive from on high: "Thou shalt compute!" The day before our Thanksgiving weekend (I'm in the U.S.) a pile of boxes materialized in my office. Thanksgiving is on a Thursday and, like many businesses, we also had Friday off. I went into the office on Friday to unpack the new computer and see if I could get everything connected properly.

The IBM PC was run on 5-1/4" 360k floppy drives. Ours were upgraded -- we had TWO 360k floppy drives. (WOO HOO!!!) The IBM PC came with an instruction manual (printed), and a diagnostic diskette. After making all the connections, I followed the instructions, inserted the diagnostic diskette, and flipped the switch. The machine came to life, I went through the entire diagnostic routine successfully, and I was ready to go home. I looked for a menu choice for "Shut off," "Exit," "End," "Quit," or anything like that. I found nothing.

Being a complete newbie, I naturally assumed I must have missed it. So I ran the entire diagnostic routine again ... and still found nothing. I repeated this probably half a dozen times, always with the same result. Finally, in desperation I took a chance and called our secretary at home. Thankfully, she answered. I explained what I was doing and what my problem was. Then I asked, "How do I get out of the diagnostic routine?"

Her answer was "Flip the switch."

You see, you fortunate folks who know what you're doing simply do not understand what it's like NOT to know what you're doing. I can't follow your instructions because I don't know how to execute the very first step.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Woody44 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:55 am It's 32-bit. Can I find a 32-bit version of FreeOffice for Linux to experiment with on thatcomputer?
I missed this part. :(

Your Linux is not compatible with FreeOffice 2024, as per system requirements, it should be 64-bit OS.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

SuperTech wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:33 am
Woody44 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:55 am It's 32-bit. Can I find a 32-bit version of FreeOffice for Linux to experiment with on thatcomputer?

Your Linux is not compatible with FreeOffice 2024, as per system requirements, it should be 64-bit OS.

Well, that's a bit of a problem, since the computer in question apparently isn't capable of running 64-bit anything.

Back to the drawing board ...
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

There are several ways you can check if the distribution you are runing is a 32bit one or not. A simple: uname -a in any terminal should let you know. Also, there are other tools like neofetch or kinfocenter that will provide you with this information too.

Freeoffice works in almost any Linux distribution. There are some where it won't, but if you stick to a streamline/popular distribution or pick one that does not use any unusual/drop in libraries (like musl as a replacement for glibc, for instance) you will be ok. The team of Softmaker only support officially a few, well known distributions. They test all their software there, hence why they recommend those distributions.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

lgsl wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:57 pm There are several ways you can check if the distribution you are runing is a 32bit one or not. A simple: uname -a in any terminal should let you know. Also, there are other tools like neofetch or kinfocenter that will provide you with this information too.
Thanks, but I don't need to check. I KNOW it's a 32-bit Linux because I installed it. And I installed a 32-bit version because the CPU doesn't support 64-bit anything.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

SuperTech wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:33 am

This is why I asked where/how I can get a copy of a 32-bit version of FreeOffice. What was the last version that was available for Linux in a 32-bit flavor?

Return to “FreeOffice 2021 for Linux (General)”