How to import a text file into a database

TomParrot

How to import a text file into a database

Post by TomParrot »

I have a text file with a lot of data set as records ready to import into a database.
All I need is how can it be done in Softmaker Office 2021.
I was previously told it can be but, I cannot find out how?
A few years ago (many) I used dBase and had no trouble until a computer crash corrupted most of my files. Now I'm trying to recreate a new database with SoftMaker Office 2021.
Your help would be appreciated.
TomParrot
stascheit

Re: How to import a text file into a database

Post by stascheit »

Using the ribbon interface:
1. Choose the ribbon command Mailings | group Database | Edit database
2. In the dialog box, select your text file and - if necessary - customize the import with the additional options.
3. Now the database modul will be opened (for text files, in read only mode). To be able to edit your data records, use the command "Save as SQlite table" in this database modul.
4. Close the database modul and use again the command Mailings | group Database | Edit database to open the SQlite database.
TomParrot

Post by TomParrot »

Hello stasheit,
I don't see any dialog box.
Derek
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

Hello Derek,

The command "Edit database" in TextMaker opens the file browser. Select your text file here and press the "Open" button.
This opens the dialog box, where you can customize the separator and additional options for the import.

I hope it works.
More detailed information on how to work with databases is provided in the online help: Database
TomParrot

Post by TomParrot »

Hello stascheit,
I'm sorry but, I get to number 2 from where do I select the text file.
'2. In the dialog box, select your text file and - if necessary - customize the import with the additional options.'
I have the database file opened then I select the open file I want to import on the menu. But, then you say ' - if necessary - customize the import with the additional options. What options?
This is just not clear enough for me. Until I can import a text file and thereby create my database I will not update. If necessary look elsewhere.
Derek
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

You are right, I was not correct in number 2.

The correct description is: choosing the command "Edit database", first opens the file browser (and not the dialog box). In the file browser you have to select your text file (step1).
Step2: After selecting and opening the text file (via the file browser, that was opened with the "Edit database" command), a dialog box opens. In many cases, you dont have to adjust anything here, because TextMaker automatically detects the structure of the text file. In some cases, however, you have to customize the separator (comma, semicolon,...) or the character set (Unicode, UTF,...) or if the first row contains field names. This customization can help to display the data correctly, but in most cases it is not necessary.

Since I do not know exactly how you proceeded: Please do not open your text file in any other way than using the "Edit Database" command. Otherwise the text file can not be opened as a database.
Last edited by stascheit on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

Step1: Choosing the command "Edit database" will open the file browser. Select here the text file to import it as a database.
Attachments
Text file for database.png
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

Step 2: A dialog box appears. If the structure of your data is not displayed correctly, adjust these options. If everything is correct, press ok.
Attachments
Dialog box with options.png
Dialog box with options.png (8 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
TomParrot

Post by TomParrot »

Hello stascheit,
It now works and I'll be buying the appropriate software.
It should be stated that only files with a .txt extension will work.
As a previous member wrote it would be nice if a layout of the data record could be created.
TomParrot.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

I am pleased that it has now worked for you.

The "Edit Data" command can also be used to import other file formats:
.sqlite, .dbf, .pmdx, .xlsx, .csv

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”