Thumbnailer support for .docx .xlsx

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
Simorgh

Thumbnailer support for .docx .xlsx

Post by Simorgh »

Hi Softmakers,

After some digging I realized that I have to bring my question here.
Is there a way to be able to see a preview or a thumbnail of a document? I use KDE and Dolphin is my file manager.
On openSUSE forum they suggest that I install Calligra Suite but they are not sure that the Calligra thumbnailer would support .docx

Would appreciate help.

Kind regards
lgsl

Re: Thumbnailer support for .docx .xlsx

Post by lgsl »

Yes. If you install Caligra and then in Dolphin you go to General => Previews you can activate previews for MS Office Documents, as well for LibreOffice/OpenDocument.
Simorgh

Post by Simorgh »

lgsl wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:15 pm Yes. If you install Caligra and then in Dolphin you go to General => Previews you can activate previews for MS Office Documents, as well for LibreOffice/OpenDocument.
Thank you @lgsl for the reply.
Edit: I did install calligra, made sure the Dolphin settings had the previews on and rebooted. But there are no previews. Is this a bug? Is there a conflict somewhere!?
I wonder if it would be possible that SoftMaker team can implement in a thumbnailer/preview feature so we don't have to install calligra?!

Thanks in advance.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for your suggestion which I have forwarded to product management...
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

Simorgh wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:16 pm Thank you @lgsl for the reply.
Edit: I did install calligra, made sure the Dolphin settings had the previews on and rebooted. But there are no previews. Is this a bug? Is there a conflict somewhere!?
This feature (or at least for me) is a bit buggy. Dolphin can take a sweet time rendering the thumbnail depending on the size and complexity of the document. That's why I think, it's turned off by default.
LibreOffice goes arround this issue with a different approach (at least for odt). It pre-generates an thumbnail/image of the document. Perhaps Text Maker could come up with something like this.
Simorgh

Post by Simorgh »

lgsl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:03 pm
Simorgh wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:16 pm Thank you @lgsl for the reply.
This feature (or at least for me) is a bit buggy. Dolphin can take a sweet time rendering the thumbnail depending on the size and complexity of the document. That's why I think, it's turned off by default.
LibreOffice goes arround this issue with a different approach (at least for odt). It pre-generates an thumbnail/image of the document. Perhaps Text Maker could come up with something like this.
Thank you for your reply.
Couple of days ago, suddenly Dolphin was showing thumbnails but after a restart, it stopped. Glitch maybe!

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”