Preserve justification with Manual Break

ChalkyW64

Preserve justification with Manual Break

Post by ChalkyW64 »

In LibreOffice I could retain the current paragraph justification when inserting a manual break via SHIFT+RETURN. New documents created in TextMaker behave as expected, but pressing SHIFT+RETURN in a file loaded from LibreOffice (.odt) breaks the paragraph and 'ignores' the full-justification (in fact none of the manual breaks preserve the justification when the file is loaded) no matter what I try.

Can anyone tell me how to save LibreOffice files so that all formatting is preserved when loaded into TextMaker?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Preserve justification with Manual Break

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please share the associated file of TextMaker 2021 in which you are getting this problem with steps to reproduce so that we can do further investigation for resolution.

If you want to send it to us privately, please send us an e-mail to the forum[at]softmaker.de

Please also include the forum URL of this topic so that we can trace your e-mail.
viewtopic.php?f=382&t=20482
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

I have sorted the problem by loading the LibreOffice (.ODT) file into TextMaker, then saving it as a .DOCX, and saying 'yes' to the 'make compatible?' dialog. TextMaker immediately updated all the formatting and correctly justified every manual break. I'm not sure why it didn't do that when first loading the LibreOffice file, but at least my issue is solved and I have a known work-around should it happen again.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

While you found a work-around, that work-around isn't available to people who don't have Open Office or Libre Office on their computers and, realistically, it should not be necessary to maintain a second office suite to make up for the shortcomings of your primary office suite.

Microsoft Word also preserves the full justification when using SHIFT+ENTER. Since Free Office is supposed to be compatible with Word, it should also act the same way for this feature.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

As the thread opener wrote, this issue occurs only when you load LibreOffice documents in TextMaker, not with TextMaker documents. So you'll see the problem only if you get LibreOffice files from somebody else. As LibreOffice is not needed to repair such documents, there is no need to have LibreOffice installed on your computer.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

As different word processors handle this differently, this is a compatibility setting: File | Properties | Compatibility...
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”