Extra File Appearing when Saving

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2018 for Windows. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
EminEmily

Extra File Appearing when Saving

Post by EminEmily » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:40 am

I'm new to posting in a forum, so if I forget to include any needed specs/info, apologies. Every time I save and close a file in any software (though I mainly use TextMaker and PlanMaker), it saves an extra file with a .bak extension, listed as a BAK file. I can't open it, and the only thing I can do is delete it. It's extremely tedious to have to delete an extra file every single time I close a document. Any ideas for a fix?

I just recently downloaded SoftMaker/FreeOffice.
I'm running Windows 10.
All files are saved as .docx or xlsx in TextMaker and PlanMaker, respectively.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Extra File Appearing when Saving

Post by Jossi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:26 am

When you go to Tools > Options, tab "Files", and choose "No backups" in the "Backup" field, the program will stop saving backup files. But you should be aware that you won't have a backup file then to fall back to if anything goes wrong with the actual file or it is destroyed accidentally. So it might be a better solution to set up a separate folder for all backup files in a place where it doesn't disturb you; the folder location can also be defined in the "Backup" field mentioned above.
*.bak files are ordinary TextMaker/PlanMaker files, only with a different file extension. To open them, right-click the file and choose "Open with..." from the context menu.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Extra File Appearing when Saving

Post by martin-k » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Note that EminEmily uses FreeOffice which always saves the backup file in the same folder as the document. SoftMaker Office is more advanced.

So the options are:
- Live with the .bak files and be happy to have a safety net.
- Turn off .bak files and live dangerously.
- Switch to SoftMaker Office :-)
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows (General)”