Headers, footers and page numbers -- how to use them?

jtreagan

Headers, footers and page numbers -- how to use them?

Post by jtreagan »

I'm setting up a template to use for formatting my latest book. I need to put a header on each page and page number in the footer. I can't seem to find headers, footers or page numbers in the ribbon menus. Where are they and how do I set them up?
jtreagan

Re: Headers, footers and page numbers -- how to use them?

Post by jtreagan »

Ok, found them. I'm kind of blind, sometimes. For someone else with the same question, use the Insert ribbon menu. The Header-Footer-Page Number section is second from the right.

My next question is how to get them to work right. Here's my list of issues:
  • The page number 1 needs to start on the first page of the first chapter. The front matter doesn't need numbering.
  • For facing pages (even numbers on right, odd numbers on left) the headers are different. On the right, for the entire book, is the title of the book. On the left is the chapter title. Again, the front matter pages don't need headers.
If I get it figured out, I'll post my answer here, but I'm sure it would speed things up if anyone has already worked through these questions. Thanks.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

To solve your issues, just insert chapter breaks. First chapter break after front matter to let page numbering begin from there, then chapter breaks after each book chapter to get the headers right.
NB: Facing pages in an open book show even page numbers left, odd page numbers right. The two page view in TextMaker shows it the wrong way round.
jtreagan

Post by jtreagan »

Thank you, @Jossi. I'm just getting started this morning (west coast USA), so will apply your suggestions in a few minutes and see how it works. The use of chapter breaks is something that seems to be unique to TextMaker. At least I was unaware of it when I used Word. When I finish this project and save for upload to the publisher, I'll use *.docx format since most publishers like that format. Will the chapter breaks work okay when I do that? Since I'm unfamiliar with using chapter breaks, could you fill me in on how to use them, how they aid my writing, and whatever else comes to mind? Anything you can share will help. Thanks.

Will inserting chapter breaks solve my problem with different even/odd headers? How does that work?
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Further tip: At the first page of each new chapter, set View to 'Master Pages', and these:

IF DIFFERENT FIRST PAGE
- create/edit the Chapter first page Header
- create/edit the Chapter first page background (if you want one)
- create/edit the Chapter first page footer
then put in a temporary page break and go to the next page

ALWAYS
- create/edit the Chapter all-[other] page Header
- create/edit the Chapter all-[other] page background (if you want one)
- create/edit the Chapter all-[other] page footer
then remove the temporary page break if you had put one in as above

Please see also my further post on a related topic:
Master page view enhancement
---
Jw
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

jtreagan wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm The use of chapter breaks is something that seems to be unique to TextMaker. At least I was unaware of it when I used Word. When I finish this project and save for upload to the publisher, I'll use *.docx format since most publishers like that format. Will the chapter breaks work okay when I do that?
Word has a slightly different system, but rest assured that saving as *.docx will keep your chapters as you created them in TextMaker.
jtreagan wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm Since I'm unfamiliar with using chapter breaks, could you fill me in on how to use them, how they aid my writing, and whatever else comes to mind? Anything you can share will help. Thanks.
TextMaker has a very clear formatting hierarchy. The levels are: character, paragraph, section, chapter. Formatting options for all of these are accessible via the Format menu.
Character formatting may be applied to any number of characters, from a single letter to all characters in a document, and comprises things like font, size, style, colour and so on.
Paragraph formatting always covers a whole paragraph and controls things like alignment, indentation, text flow and so on, but also character formatting for the whole paragraph as long as no special character formatting is applied. (NB: For character and paragraph formatting, it facilitates the writing process enormously if you accustom yourself to use styles instead of direct formatting.)
A section comprises any number of paragraphs within a chapter. It can start and end anywhere on a page or with a new page. Features of section formatting are number of columns and line numbering.
A chapter always begins on a new page. Every chapter has its own master page; changes made on a master page are repeated on each page in the chapter. Chapter formatting comprises things like page size (so it is possible to have different page sizes in a document), page numbering (which can start anew with each chapter or run through the whole document), shading, borders and so on. John has given useful hints for working with master pages above.
jtreagan wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm Will inserting chapter breaks solve my problem with different even/odd headers? How does that work?
When in Format > Chapter..., tab "Chapter", "Different left and right pages" is checked, the chapter has not one, but two master pages: one for all left pages and one for all right pages. So it is easy to define different headers or footers for left and right pages in master page view.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”