Unable to create backup file

Questions and answers about FreeOffice PlanMaker 2018 for Windows
Dimps

Unable to create backup file

Post by Dimps » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:51 pm

I've been using a file for a month or so and for the past few days have been losing data entered as I've been unable to save the file. :o

Today I got the following message when trying to save: "Unable to create backup file". I then looked in File Explorer to discover that there was no .BAK file even though I had set the Auto Save to every 30 minutes and had been using/saving the file for a month.

So, despite being able to save the file until recently there was never a backup file ... yet when I have to abort the file and then re-open it I get a message asking if I want to load a saved version (which is usually a day old - therefore I lose the current day's input!) :o

The file has about 15 worksheets and no really fancy Functions, graphs, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Unable to create backup file

Post by miguel-c » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:42 pm

1. You could try to undelete the file via an undelete software such as Recuva.
2. Where are you saving the file to?
3. Please run a malwarebytes scan (free tool) to check for viruses
4. You could also try to do a check disk on your hard drive:
Win+R
cmd
ctrl+shift+enter
chkdsk /r
5. If nothing fixes the issue, please go to "TextMaker | ? | About | Write system info" and send us the sminfo.txt file it generates.

Dimps

Re: Unable to create backup file

Post by Dimps » Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi Miguel,
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've now found out what the problem was.

Somehow my file got opened twice! I looked in the Worksheet menu and one file was "saved" and the second version unsaved (marked with an *). I should mention that I generally use the "Hibernate" feature when closing down Windows. When I closed Planmaker and then reopened it, the probe disappeared - the "duplicate file" was no longer there.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “FreeOffice PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”