disable permanent hyphenation

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

SimPos

disable permanent hyphenation

Post by SimPos » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:26 am

I'm using a translator:
Good night, I found out where to turn off the automatic hyphen, but it returns active every time it disables.

Since FreeOffice does not have a general configuration launcher, each "parent" application inherits the settings for the rest.

In this case you open Textmaker and go to File> Options> Language> Automatic Hyphenation, when disabling it will return to reopen new documents.

How to leave disabled forever? My country Brazil, hyphenated but only handwritten, official documents with this type of character has never been hyphenated since the first Word made.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: disable permanent hyphenation

Post by miguel-c » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 am

This is how hyphenation works:
1. There is a paragraph setting for hyphenation. Each paragraph may have it on or off.
2. This is also available through the paragraph style.
3. As a master override switch, there is a global setting "Hyphenate". When off, the paragraph or paragraph style setting is ignored.
This "global" setting is per-document.
if you create a new document, it inherits the global setting from the template file, but after that, the connection between document and template is cut.

So, after this explanation, if you wish that all of your future new documents have hyphenation off:
1.create a new blank document
2.right click the blank area
3. Paragraph style
4. Normal
5. Edit...
6. Text Flow
7. Hyphenation: None
8. Save the document as your default template: normal.tmvx

SimPos

Post by SimPos » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:26 am

I am disappointed that the program reaches an impractical level of use, I have around 100 Windows and Linux computers, from public areas (schools, library etc), I can not make so many corrections for each installation, this is a primary flaw, forgot to implement to save the hyphenation only setting.

Every time I install I need to add dictionary, disable margin lines, disable .bak, set save .doc, but saving a master file to inherit the settings is crazy.

I tried to leave LibreOffice because it has a free license, but I see that not even buying FreeOffice would be fixed these problems, a pity.

Anyway thanks for the instruction.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:52 pm

You can't buy FreeOffice because it is already free.

What's the problem about distributing the modified Normal.tmvx template to your users? Don't you distribute your company templates to your users anyway? You could even change the configuration by pointing all users to the same template path.

Also, you don't even have to change the paragraph style. You could simply open the template, go to Review | Hyphenation, turn off the hyphenation there for the whole document and save the template file.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

SimPos

Post by SimPos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 pm

It is a problem of speed of care, I have to install and regularize for each user, and after that, replace the native icon with a ready template, I will probably have to modify the .doc icon to Textmaker, with Windows I'll take At one time, with much worse Linux, we call it "gambiarra", Google says it's jerry-rig, it's like building a car with duct tape.

It is clear that this hyphen problem needs correction, nor should it be enabled by default, it makes no sense.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:00 pm

Why not disable automatic hyphenation globally via Tools > Automatic hyphenation?

SimPos

Post by SimPos » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 am

Não funciona meu amigo, dont work.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:56 am

What doesn't work? I open a document in FreeOffice where all paragraphs have hyphenation set to "Always" (in Format > Paragraph..., tab "Text flow"). When I deselect "Automatic hyphenation" in the "Tools" menu, all hyphenation disappears.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 am

It is a document option, but the OP wants a program option. It could be saved in a document template, but the OP doesn't like distributing templates either.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

SimPos

Post by SimPos » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 am

Jossi,

Eu sei desativar por documento, mas globalmente não funciona, ou seja, para todos os novos documentos o hífen vem ativado (mesmo desabilitando o checkbox do documento anterior)

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:26 am

Well, in this case there is only the option to change Normal.tmvx as described before.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows”