Is Raspberry Pi/ ARM based computer support likely?

colonel_panic

Is Raspberry Pi/ ARM based computer support likely?

Post by colonel_panic »

Hello

I use an ancient PC with Debian happily with Softmaker. I simply don't need more for my business. But I like to think about the future!
When my current machine gives up, I'd love to start using a Raspberry Pi. I can get everything working, but I'm stuck with LibreOffice.
It would be great if you included support for ARM processors. I suspect there would be at least as much interest as 32-bit Intel.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Is Raspberry Pi/ ARM based computer support likely?

Post by martin-k »

No plans for that, sorry. It's not just about building it, there is also a commitment included for us for continued development, bug fixing and customer support, and I don't see this as viable. Raspberry is a cool tinkering tool, but there won't be any significant number of people doing office work on it.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
colonel_panic

Post by colonel_panic »

Of course, Martin. No shortage of x86 machines, and I'm delighted that you still support Linux. Thanks for the reply.
leirbag28

Post by leirbag28 »

Well Now...things have changed! NOw that Apple is on M1 ARM processors and you ARE supporting it.....you might want to look into supporting ARM on Raspberry Pi. SoftMaker Office is light enough that it should work even on a Pi Zero....hence more hardware covered from the Pi Zero to the Pi 4. YOu guys are onto something great but I don't think you realize it yet and are not marketing right.

I recommend Changing the fonts in the Word "SoftMaker" as well as that "M". it doesnt exude Professionalism.
Also once you have Video and Audio working on Linux...fully perfectly... You should go full blown assault with confidfence (As I would in spreading the word) to advertise this.

Windows has: MS Office
Apple has: iWork....Keynote, Pages, Numbers
Linux?: it SHOULD be SoftMaker Office (sure...sell it for Windows and Apple too...but ti should shine on Linux...on the other platforms you are in the background and might feel like a 3rd wheel...always)
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

We have been building ARM versions for close to 15 years. This is not the problem. Please re-read my post about having to support this for something which is certainly a cool tool but not a platform that a significant number of SoftMaker users will do Office documents on.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Linux (General)”