Moving/Transferring from MS Office Excel and Word

mpbuck71@hotmail.com

Moving/Transferring from MS Office Excel and Word

Post by mpbuck71@hotmail.com »

Hello, Is it possible to transfer or move my files & documents from Microsoft Word & Excel to my newly installed SoftMaker Office? If so. How do I do it?
Thanks
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Moving/Transferring from MS Office Excel and Word

Post by Jossi »

Word and Excel files can be opened seamlessly by TextMaker and PlanMaker respectively. Only macros are not supported.
mikedelta

Post by mikedelta »

Hi,
is it possible to set up the freeoffice system so that the imported excel or word file are automaticlly openable / converted to plan and text maker. otherwise i always have to open the excel and word files thru clicking the right mouse buttom then the "open using" and then choosing plan or text maker.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

You mean a default file format? That only works for completely new created files but for already existing files.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

mikedelta wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:44 pm Hi,
is it possible to set up the freeoffice system so that the imported excel or word file are automaticlly openable / converted to plan and text maker. otherwise i always have to open the excel and word files thru clicking the right mouse buttom then the "open using" and then choosing plan or text maker.
During installation, you were asked if you wish to associate Microsoft Office files with SoftMaker Office (or FreeOffice, respectively). Checking this option does what you want. Re-run installation and choose it.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
ronifilla

Post by ronifilla »

Hello, I bought your Office Suite 3.0 installed it today, updated it and so far I think I like it. My question is already answered just above in the thread however, now I have to re insert the CD to find that File Choice and change it. SO Please Remember that a NEW USER is just that, NEW and doesn't know why to click on the using the Microsoft or the SoftMaker file formats. I didn't know what to click and the explanation for which to click was null and void. A NEW User needs to know WHY to choose one or the other. Since my New Software is intended to be used in place of Microsoft then WHY would I click Microsoft. SoftMaker is the software to be used so that is what New People would think to click. For heaven's sake...look at all you do with a complete newbie in mind. I chose your Software because of good reviews and find that I have spent hours looking for a simple way to export from Microsoft Word and Excel into SoftMaker. I copied and pasted with luck. Opened and closed MS Word and Excel as well as martin-k ...BUT I have years of Files, and Business junk to transfer and hopefully use in SoftMaker. I have 2 computers to put Softmaker on and use, but must get one up and working correctly. At first glance, or for the last 3 1/2 hours of looking thru the Software and glancing/reading the How to Book...you all have done an amazing job. One more thing, after we go back and re check that File Format window, after all the files are in SoftMaker do we then go back and change everything to SoftMaker File format ???
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, you can open and save DOC., DOCX, XLS, XLSX files in SoftMaker Office. You're not forced to use our file formats (tmd, tmdx, pmd, pmdx...)
ronifilla

Post by ronifilla »

miguel-c....I think you misunderstood what I was saying. For New Users to transfer files from Microsoft into SoftMaker there isn't a import/export files tab, dropdown etc. From a previous question I found the answer...I have now re- installed the CD to Change the File Format to Microsoft so the files can more easily be transferred per the previous Answer to martin-k. HOWEVER...upon opening and re installing the CD...the place to change it is GREYED OUT...and I still cannot change it. Now what do I do? I never said you were forcing us to use your File Format. I did say I am NEW and with NO explanation of WHY I would want to Click on Microsoft vs Softmaker when using Softmaker is an oversight on behalf of the software designers. I am not the only one with the same problem so that says it could be made simpler for those New to Softmaker. How do I fix that now since the window for that is Greyed out and will not let me change it on the CD...??
ronifilla

Post by ronifilla »

I HAVE FOUND A WORK AROUND sincere installing the CD blocked me out of changing the File format. I uninstalled the whole program, re installed it and then that window DID NOT COME BACK for a choice. So in the TOOLS, then Options, then that window has a tab FILES...YOU CAN CHANGE IT IN THERE BACK TO WINDOWS...Making it easier to transfer ONE Doc or a Folder. Hope this helps someone.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Windows (General)”