How to control what data shows up in the OLE object

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

snowshed

How to control what data shows up in the OLE object

Post by snowshed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 am

I'm trying to learn what I can and can not do with an OLE object.

It seems, if a spreadsheet is open in PlanMaker, it will not open as a file in TextMaker. And possibly, not even if PlanMaker is simply open.

Is it possible to get multiple OLE objects from the same file? I'm thinking of data from multiple tabs in a spreadsheet. It appears the OLE object is only from the page that is shown on the screen when the file is closed.

It also appears that the information you want in the OLE object has to be in the upper left corner of the spreadsheet. Is there a way to use a different area of the spreadsheet for the object?

What if I want a larger area from the spreadsheet than is the default?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How to control what data shows up in the OLE object

Post by sven-l » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am

snowshed wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 am
Is it possible to get multiple OLE objects from the same file? I'm thinking of data from multiple tabs in a spreadsheet. It appears the OLE object is only from the page that is shown on the screen when the file is closed.
It is not possible to get multiple OLE objects from the same file. You would need to create a new PlanMaker file for every new OLE object you want to insert in TextMaker.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am

snowshed wrote:
It also appears that the information you want in the OLE object has to be in the upper left corner of the spreadsheet. Is there a way to use a different area of the spreadsheet for the object?
No, always the upper left corner of the PlanMaker sheet is shown. You cannot modify that.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am

snowshed wrote:
It seems that the OLE object frame is just scaling up if you enlarge it. It should definitely be possible to change the size of the area shown in the OLE object. I will ask the developers how this works.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am

snowshed wrote:

It seems, if a spreadsheet is open in PlanMaker, it will not open as a file in TextMaker. And possibly, not even if PlanMaker is simply open.
I will report this as a bug report to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:23 pm

sven-l wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am
snowshed wrote:
It is not possible to get multiple OLE objects from the same file. You would need to create a new PlanMaker file for every new OLE object you want to insert in TextMaker.
A change here needs to be implemented, IMO. If you have an extensive spreadsheet, and you need to display 5 areas, for example, that means you have to maintain- 5 different files.

And that makes no sense. :-)

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:26 pm

sven-l wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am
snowshed wrote:
No, always the upper left corner of the PlanMaker sheet is shown. You cannot modify that.
Another change I would suggest, as it just means the user has to make the spreadsheet more "busy and involved" in order to use this feature.

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 pm

sven-l wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am
snowshed wrote:
It seems that the OLE object frame is just scaling up if you enlarge it. It should definitely be possible to change the size of the area shown in the OLE object. I will ask the developers how this works.
I'll be looking forward to this answer, as the current way it seems to work is, potentially, a severe limitation on the usefulness of the feature.

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:28 pm

sven-l wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am
snowshed wrote:

I will report this as a bug report to the developers.
Thanks, Sven.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”