Command button to open a translation website

ecbritz

Command button to open a translation website

Post by ecbritz »

In a posting in 2017 I asked about finding a command button for a website regularly used while writing documents with Textmaker, such as Google Translate. It turned out that Google provides a solution. The method has changed slightly due to Google updates. Search and find the translation website with Google, e.g. Google Translate. With Google Translate opened, click on the three dots in the right hand corner of your screen. Now click on "Find more tools". Then click on "Create shortcut". You will be asked if you want to create a shortcut. The shortcut icon (command button) will be shown. Click on "Create" and you will find the command button on your desktop, from where it can be dragged to your taskbar.

I would like to discover an online translation website where the gender of nouns in languages such as French, German and Dutch are given. The one I did find was recognized by Malewarebytes as a PUP. With Google Translate you can find the gender by adding "the" to the noun when your source language is English. "The horse" will translate to "het paard" in Dutch, so you know not to write "de paard". Any suggestions as to which translation website will indicate the gender of nouns without being a PUP or worse?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Command button to open a translation website

Post by Jossi »

For single word translations you could use the Berlitz dictionaries which are part of SoftMaker Office Professional.
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks for responding! I have the standard version of Softmaker 2018 so unfortunately I can't check whether Berlitz gives the gender of nouns in languages where the gender has an effect on the conjugation of other parts of speech in a sentence. I hope to receive more advice on translation websites, other than the excellent Google Translate.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

As online dictionary for single words and phrases I use the excellent
https://dict.leo.org/german-english/
It has eight languages (but unfortunately Dutch is lacking) and gives gender and plural forms for all nouns where appropriate.
A toolbar icon to open this website directly from TextMaker can be created as a user defined button; see the section "Creating user-defined toolbar/ribbon icons" in the help file or the PDF manual (p.580). The command line for the icon is:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe / s "https://dict.leo.org/german-english/"
If you are not using Firefox as web browser, insert the path of your standard web browser instead.
AFAIK there is no way to insert the search term automatically into the leo.org search field; this has to be done by copy & paste.

For a more general translation tool I use "Im Translator", a free Add-on for Firefox. For Microsoft Edge there exists "Translator for Microsoft Edge" as free Add-on. These Add-ons cover dozens of languages, similar to Google Translate.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”