how to add chapter numbers to the headings?

karsten.burger

how to add chapter numbers to the headings?

Post by karsten.burger »

Hello,

I see the chapter number in the status line at the bottom of the page, but cannot have them shown in the headings themself. The manual just states that it is numbered automatically, What can I do?

Thanks
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: how to add chapter numbers to the headings?

Post by Michael Uplawski »

Moin
karsten.burger wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:48 pmI see the chapter number in the status line at the bottom of the page, but cannot have them shown in the headings themself. The manual just states that it is numbered automatically, What can I do?
How did you define your heading and how did you define the chapter-format?
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
karsten.burger

Post by karsten.burger »

When in my text document, I simply set cursor to the line, and select one of the heading levels from the drop-down menu, like "Überschrift 1" / "heading 1" from the "start" menu bar.
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

I read in the manual that you have to insert the chapter-number as a field, i.e. using the menu-command
Insert|Field
karsten.burger

Post by karsten.burger »

No, I do not want to insert a cross reference, but normal chapter numbering of the chapter headers. So I need to switch on numbering for all existing chapters, regardless of level.

1. my heading1
1.1 my heading 2
1.2 my heading 2
2. my heading1
2.1 my heading 2
Michael Uplawski

Explain the expression “cross-reference”, please.
chapter_number.png
karsten.burger

Post by karsten.burger »

Thanks for the answer. But when I do this I always get number "1". Also this means I have to do this manually for each heading.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Michael Uplawski wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 pm I read in the manual that you have to insert the chapter-number as a field, i.e. using the menu-command
Insert|Field
Insert | Field is correct. Just insert the chapter number as a field in the header/footer and it should automatically appear on every page.

Note that while you can use numbered lists in headings, the numbers that appear there are automatically incrementing heading numbers and not the chapter number.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
karsten.burger

Post by karsten.burger »

Ok, but my question is how to get automatic numbering of chapters, please see post of Dec. 6th.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

You need to insert this as fields, it is not automatic.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Michael Uplawski

karsten.burger wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 am Ok, but my question is how to get automatic numbering of chapters, please see post of Dec. 6th.
You can do that outside of Textmaker, using XSLT on the expanded document.xml file, then routinely to make updates... :lol:
Live with less”, now or later.

Darn. I'm an animal.
karsten.burger

Post by karsten.burger »

Sorry, but that can't be all:

If I import an existing Word document with chapter numbering, it ist shown and handled correctly. Number increments if I split one heading onto two. table-of-contents can be crerated correctly...
Michael Uplawski

karsten.burger wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm If I import an existing Word document with chapter numbering, it ist shown and handled correctly. Number increments if I split one heading onto two. table-of-contents can be created correctly...
This only shows, that SoftMaker Office supports quite well the M$ file formats and can interpret formatting rules in these files. As regards “splitting of headings” and what my imagination lets me comprehend, it is possible that the support for the file-formats goes much further than what TextMaker itself is currently able to generate, meaning, Word® can define something in a file, TextMaker can interpret it, and comprehends (already) more of these formats than it is able to produce itself.

If your observations are correct and my interpretation is not too daring, then SoftMaker is cursed for having chosen OOXML as base for the TMDX format.

On the other hand, you can hope for a better support for your favorite text processor function in the future.

Edits: Kraut2English
Last edited by Michael Uplawski on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karsten.burger

Post by karsten.burger »

Thank you for your patience and the informations, Karsten
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

karsten.burger wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm Sorry, but that can't be all:

If I import an existing Word document with chapter numbering, it ist shown and handled correctly. Number increments if I split one heading onto two. table-of-contents can be crerated correctly...
Could you please provide a sample file (send it to forum(at)softmaker.com referring to this thread)? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”