TextMaker list of bugs

Patrick

TextMaker list of bugs

Post by Patrick »

Softmaker Textmaker 2018 bugs (last service pack as of 2018-11:

- Can not select a second empty line without a space or character in it when that second empty line is placed before a line with text. For example, you want to select 2 empty lines above a line of text or paragraph: this won't work because it only selects the first line. If you enter a SPACE or character in the second line, it WILL be able to select it. TextMaker should be able to select both empty lines without adding characters to them. This is a bug.

- There is something off about the page breaks in Textmaker -- Atlantis and MS Word 2007 and 2003 do not have these problems. Basically, it looks like TextMaker requires an additional empty line to be added below any ending paragraph, or the last sentence of that paragraph (when on justified setting) spans the entire width of the page. To fix this, you have to add an extra line below the last paragraph before a page break. This is not right because if your last paragraph *just* fits on a page (nor more empty lines left below it), the extra line will necessitate a whole extra (empty) page due to TextMaker's page break "extra line" requirement. In other words, it takes up more space because it requires an extra line; AND documents made with word processors who don't require the extra line after page break end up showing the last line in the respective paragraph stretched out all the way across the width of the page when opened in TextMaker. This is a bug.

- Textmaker cannot paste Sanskrit fonts from web page -- Atlantis, Word 2007, and Word 2003 can and do. TextMaker merely produces empty square boxes. This must be a programming bug because this ability seems to be included on a fundamental level in most word processors. (For example, copy and paste any line from: https://sanskritdocuments.org/sanskrit/upanishhat ) I consider this a bug.

- When you type within a (justified) paragraph above a following paragraph, the first sentence of the following paragraphs keeps resetting/adjusting, making for distraction to the eyesight. I consider this buggy.

- Textmaker does not allow you to use ctrl-select (with mouse click) to select multiple words in different locations in the document. Atlantis and MS Office Word 2007 do allow this. If you want, for example, to italicize three different words in various locations in a sentence, you have to do so one by one with TextMaker. I consider this a bug.

- When typing a double dash (--) this should really be automatically converted into a long line after pressing space behind it; not the really long line, but the medium sized one which allows for spaces on each side. At least for letter-sized documents. This is more of a request.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: TextMaker list of bugs

Post by sven-l »

Patrick wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 pm Softmaker Textmaker 2018 bugs (last service pack as of 2018-11:

- Can not select a second empty line without a space or character in it when that second empty line is placed before a line with text. For example, you want to select 2 empty lines above a line of text or paragraph: this won't work because it only selects the first line. If you enter a SPACE or character in the second line, it WILL be able to select it. TextMaker should be able to select both empty lines without adding characters to them. This is a bug.
Tested with TextMaker 2018 rev.938.1002 64bit in Windows 10 64bit Version 1803

I can properly select two and more empty lines above a line of text. Could you please attach a sample file?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Patrick wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 pm
- There is something off about the page breaks in Textmaker -- Atlantis and MS Word 2007 and 2003 do not have these problems. Basically, it looks like TextMaker requires an additional empty line to be added below any ending paragraph, or the last sentence of that paragraph (when on justified setting) spans the entire width of the page. To fix this, you have to add an extra line below the last paragraph before a page break. This is not right because if your last paragraph *just* fits on a page (nor more empty lines left below it), the extra line will necessitate a whole extra (empty) page due to TextMaker's page break "extra line" requirement. In other words, it takes up more space because it requires an extra line; AND documents made with word processors who don't require the extra line after page break end up showing the last line in the respective paragraph stretched out all the way across the width of the page when opened in TextMaker. This is a bug.
Please attach a screenshot that shows the issue. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Patrick wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 pm - Textmaker cannot paste Sanskrit fonts from web page -- Atlantis, Word 2007, and Word 2003 can and do. TextMaker merely produces empty square boxes. This must be a programming bug because this ability seems to be included on a fundamental level in most word processors. (For example, copy and paste any line from: https://sanskritdocuments.org/sanskrit/upanishhat ) I consider this a bug.
Sanskrit is not supported. This is on the wishlist for the future.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Patrick wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 pm - When you type within a (justified) paragraph above a following paragraph, the first sentence of the following paragraphs keeps resetting/adjusting, making for distraction to the eyesight. I consider this buggy.
This is the same behavior as in MS Word (tested with MS Word 2019).
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Patrick wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 pm - Textmaker does not allow you to use ctrl-select (with mouse click) to select multiple words in different locations in the document. Atlantis and MS Office Word 2007 do allow this. If you want, for example, to italicize three different words in various locations in a sentence, you have to do so one by one with TextMaker. I consider this a bug.
This is on the agenda for the future but yes, it doesn't work yet.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

sven-l wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:35 pm Tested with TextMaker 2018 rev.938.1002 64bit in Windows 10 64bit Version 1803

I can properly select two and more empty lines above a line of text. Could you please attach a sample file?
The issue occurs when the lines are centered on the page and it has, say, a title above it. However, I just tested again and it does work when you select the 2 lines, and then move leftward, to a place BEFORE the start of the title (on the third line) -- so in short, I can make it work although it is a bit wonky that you have to move to before where the third line text starts, but ok.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

sven-l wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm This is the same behavior as in MS Word (tested with MS Word 2019).
I think you of all people will understand that this is a bad argument (or why else SoftMaker Office?) :D
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

sven-l wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:38 pm
Patrick wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 pm
Please attach a screenshot that shows the issue. Thank you!
^^ This might actually be an Atlantis Word issue. Whenever I make a doc or docx (only formats I tried) and save it with TextMaker and insert a page break right after the last paragraph on a page, when I open it in Atlantis the last line of the ending paragraph (before the page break) justifies all the way out to the right side of the page (stretches the line out). But it only reads it that way in Atlantis when the file was saved by TextMaker -- when it is saved the same way with various incarnations of Word, Atlantis reads it fine. So something seems to be particular to TextMaker about this (or perhaps Atlantis in how it reads). I would suggest comparing the code of the page break from any version of Word against how TextMaker codes for it, and see if there are any differences at all. Thanks!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks for looking into each issue and getting back to me, Sven. Really appreciate that! So, some thoughts:

- The Sanskrit/Bengali/Hindi/etc font issue is a bit frustrating just because in writing things like scriptural studies, reverting to something as ancient as Word 2003 fixes the issue. Just think about it, the Sanrkit literature is much vaster than the Greek or basically anything from that time frame so it is important -- especially as it is the same language group as (and perhaps to a degree foundational to) German, English, Dutch, etc. It deserves support!

- The constantly adjusting line in following paragraph when writing in a previous one, Atlantis does not have this problem and they have a much smaller programming team. In short, I believe in SoftMaker programmers :D

- Selecting more than one (unconnected) word at a time should really get priority in my opinion.

One of the great features of TextMaker for me is the built-in PDF generator. Atlantis lacks this and MS Office is just an unwieldy beast to me. But as always there is always something programs seem to lack, however close they get to perfection. I still end up using 3 different word processors... But you guys are good, better than most.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Thank for the feedback, Patrick! Please post each suggest/problem in a separate thread next time.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”