Fit text to cell

wbrells

Fit text to cell

Post by wbrells »

I've just upgraded from FreeOffice 2018 to TextMaker 2018. Unfortunately, the problem described below still exists in the upgraded program even though it was my understanding that the developers had been made aware of this situation some time ago. Hopefully, the NEXT service pack will solve this problem!

FOR REFERENCE, HERE IS THE EARLIER POSTING FROM THE FREEOFFICE SUPPORT FORUM:

I'm using a Python program to generate a DOCX file that contains a multi-page table of names and addresses. Some entries are too long to fit within a table cell so I'm (programmatically) using Word's "fit to cell" option to shrink text appropriately to make everything fit. The resulting DOCX file looks fine when I examine it with Word 2007, but with TextMaker 2018 the over-length text is not being compressed and flows over to the next line - not good! INTERESTINGLY, all is well if I read the original program-generated DOCX file with Word 2007 and then save it under a new name (but still in DOCX format). This saved file is about 25% larger than the original DOCX file but the compressed entries are now fine in both Word 2007 and in TextMaker 2018.

Please examine the attached DOCX file with MS Word and notice on Page 3 the fit-to-cell entries of PAT: and PHYL:. Now take a look at the same file with TextMaker and notice that those entries are "full size" and overflow the cell. However, if you save the file as a new DOCX file using MS Word that new file will:

1) Be somewhat larger
2) Will be correct when opened with TextMaker

I'm not sure what to make of this behavior, but at least there is a workaround to get "fit to text" working in TextMaker 2018. It would be nice, though, if I did not need Word 2007 to create a file that works correctly with TextMaker.

Thanks,
Attachments
Residents-by-Address.docx
(12.18 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Fit text to cell

Post by martin-k »

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”