Error: Not enough memory + Session restore

VLMin

Error: Not enough memory + Session restore

Post by VLMin »

Win 7, TextMaker current. Task Manager reports about 1 GB free memory and 4 GB available memory. Yet I'm getting this message again and again. What might it mean?

This raises another question: if I have to close and restart TM, is there a way to make it restore my current session (all my windows and tabs, in their respective current states)?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Error: Not enough memory + Session restore

Post by sven-l »

When exaclty does it happen? Only when a large document is open or even with a blank, new sheet?

If auto recovery is on (check it in File | Options | Files) and TextMaker (or the whole PC) suddenly crashes, it should be able to restore the last save of your document on the next start.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

The error happened one day a few times. After restarting Windows and of course TM, the error has not recurred. So I have nothing more to report and suggest letting it go.

Auto Recovery is indeed on, and TM does indeed restore each document properly, one at a time, upon request. What TM does not seem able to do, and what is sometimes offered among programs with tabbed interfaces, is restore the entire prior session automatically if the program is closed or crashes and then reopened. That's what I'm requesting, session restore if whatever was open at the time of the closure/crash.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Have you deactivated the swap file in Windows 7 or is your hard disc full? If there is not enough RAM, Windows usually uses the HD memory as a substitution. But without swap file and with not enough free RAM you could run into such problems.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

I haven't touched the swap file, and the disks all have a minimum of 30% free space. I defragged them all a month ago or so, so they should be in good condition in that regard.
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

Sven, my impression is that TM simply does not restore whole sessions. I have found nothing on this in the manual. Do you see something that I may have missed?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

It uses auto recovery to restore your file in case of a crash of sudden power breakdown. But there is no guarantee that it works every time.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

Thank you Sven. I think I'm not making myself sufficiently clear. I am not talking about restoring one document. I am not talking about disaster recovery. I am talking about a session-level feature: when the program is closed and then later reopened, it automatically restores the last session-in-progress in every detail.

Think in terms of browser session restore. IMO, such a capability would be valuable to users. Furthermore, if the program can restore individual files, then it's a short jump to being able to restore all of them, in proper tab order.

This is just my opinion, of course. Perhaps a future feature?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

VLMin wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:27 pm Thank you Sven. I think I'm not making myself sufficiently clear. I am not talking about restoring one document. I am not talking about disaster recovery. I am talking about a session-level feature: when the program is closed and then later reopened, it automatically restores the last session-in-progress in every detail.
This is not yet possible but on the wish list for the future.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
VLMin

Post by VLMin »

Thank you!

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”