Documents become uneditable...

proth1814

Documents become uneditable...

Post by proth1814 »

Dear All,

I have used the free version of Softmaker Textmaker, and I was very satisfied because it keeps absolutely right all the MS Word document structures. This was for me right choice as I switched from Windows to Ubuntu 18.04.

I had no problems with my documents, until two days ago when I decided to take a year license.

Then I uninstalled the free version, and tried to install the full version using the installer. Then I started to have problems as the installer was blocked after 29% of installation. I stopped and made a new installation with a command in a terminal. Everything was fine at that step and I was able to start using Textmaker.

However, things were not that easy with the files I created with the free version, and what happened was the fact that each time I opened a file, and save with the new name with the full version, that file was about 100kb more than the first one (457kB to 567kB) and when I exported the file as PDF it was incredibly BIG (688kB to 12.6MB...) without doing anything on the file... My file is a CV and it includes a picture of me at the top... nothing else BIG.
I have found that if I uninstall the full Softmaker with a command line, restart, reinstall, open the previous file, copy, paste into a new empty document, and save, it works better. But each time I restart my computer, I'm in the same state and have the same problem... I am not going to uninstall/reinstall each time I want to use my word processor...

It seems that my file becomes corrupted, and Textmaker becomes unusable. Also, when I open a corrupted file, the picture disappears and the %CPU used by Texmaker jumps to 50%...

Can someone help me on that? Please... Should I switch back to the free version?

Many thanks in advance for your support :?
Philippe
180923-1-TABLE-CV-Vertical.docx
This file was saved today, doing nothing on the file, and is now corrupted. Exporting this file to PDF makes it to 12.6MB, and Textmaker becomes unusable.
(553.89 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
180922-2-TABLE-CV-Vertical.docx
This file was saved yesterday and is not corrupted. Exporting this file to PDF makes it to 688kB.
(446.75 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Documents become uneditable...

Post by sven-l »

Which Linux exactly are you using and which desktop? Could you please attach your sminfo.txt (in the Help=>About dialog)?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
astronos2007

Post by astronos2007 »

I tried to open your file in LibreOffice Writer, and it crashes upon opening: 100% CPU usage and no responsiveness until I kill the process. This may be a clue.
dhalgren
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by dhalgren »

Both of these documents opened in rev 938.1004 without a problem, on BunsenLabs Debian 9.5 The files were editable..

In LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 the documents opened as empty files, and froze the programme.

I then changed to my Windows 10 partition and attempted to open them in Word 365, with the following results:
180922-2-TABLE-CV-Vertical.jpg
180922-2-TABLE-CV-Vertical.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 6927 times
180922-2-TABLE-CV-Vertical-2.jpg
180922-2-TABLE-CV-Vertical-3.JPG

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”