Can Textmaker create a PDF locked for copying?

Questions and answers about TextMaker 2016 for Windows
ecbritz

Can Textmaker create a PDF locked for copying?

Post by ecbritz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:38 pm

When I create/save/publish a PDF containing the text and graphics displayed on screen, can I lock the contents so that it cannot be copied? Is there a Textmaker function I can use?

I sometimes receive from other people PDF's allowing me to copy and paste the contents, albeit without retaining the formatting. Some other PDF's I receive won't allow me any copying. So it must be possible to lock a PDF for copying. Such a lock would automatically also prohibit editing the PDF. But it is the copying that concerns me most.

If you can't copy the contents, there is a roundabout available. You can take a screenshot of every page or part thereof, or scan a printout. This screenshot or scanned image you can then run through a program recognizing Roman characters in an image. I use the nifty Scanitto program. Once you have extracted the text contained in the locked PDF, you can edit it in your word processor. I think Scanitto needs a PDF (not for instance a JPEG) to recognize Roman characters. Be that as it may, lots of exhausting PT is involved. So locking a PDF for copying should be the way to go if you want to discourage copying and apply basic security.

I don't like locking a PDF with a password because it tends to upset my recipients. They lose the password. I would just like to prevent my habitual copiers from copying, most of them psychologically or technically not up to the tedious screenshot / scanner route.

Can Textmaker help me out?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Alfred

Re: Can Textmaker create a PDF locked for copying?

Post by Alfred » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:43 pm

ecbritz wrote:When I create/save/publish a PDF containing the text and graphics displayed on screen, can I lock the contents so that it cannot be copied? Is there a Textmaker function I can use?
If TextMaker has such a function, I haven't found it. However, you can use the free BeCyPDFMetaEdit to edit your PDF file's metadata.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:05 pm

In the PDF export dialog, this option is on the Protection tab.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks, Martin. I guess the reason why I didn't find it is that I didn't look very hard! :oops:
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:17 am

:wink:
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I apologize for not responding to the kind advice given in this thread. I was desperately busy actually using Textmaker for work and did not find time for studying the settings of the program. After installing the latest service pack, I looked at the solution given here for my issue with producing pdf's where the contents can be copied. The problem I now have, is that everything is grayed out when I do File > Export as PDF > Protection. For the test, I first enter some text into the document, so that I would not be trying to produce a blank PDF. Only the Encryption Type can be adjusted. I add a picture of this grayed out dialog. Why is everything grayed out? What am I doing wrong? Please note that I do not want to create a password for the PDF. I simply want the contents of the PDF to be protected against copying.
Attachments
PDF Test.JPG
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:40 pm

All the protection is only available if a password is set. That's how PDF works.

Not knowing the password restricts the PDF to the users. Entering the password disables the protections.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:18 pm

With appreciation for your answer and with all due respect, the following:

1. There are countless pdf's downloadable from the internet without password but locked for copying the contents to the clipboard. In such pdf's, the text cannot be copied to the clipboard with the normal select-text-Ctrl+C procedure. However, these pdf's can be opened and read. The purpose of locking the contents for copying to the clipboard is to discourage plagiarism, to stop students simply copying from pdf's to complete their assignments, and so on. But access to the pdf for reading purposes is not intended -- to the contrary.

2. Other pdf's found all over the internet and on your computer allow copying to the clipboard, for good purpose. For instance, you can send a .tmp or a .wpd version plus a .pdf version of a document file to someone without Softmaker or WordPerfect installed. The text can be copied from the .pdf version if all else fails, albeit without the formatting applied. I regularly send a .pdf version along, for good measure, when I submit articles.

3. In a much smaller category of the pdf's generally encountered, the pdf is locked for all purposes, including reading, by means of a password.

The aim of a pdf locked for all purposes, including reading, is to keep its contents secret from people not supposed to read it. If reading is to be allowed but copying to the clipboard not allowed, there is no need for a password acting as a barrier. There is clearly a way to lock the contents of a pdf for copying to the clipboad without adding a password. How else would there be so many of such pdf's around?

If Textmaker does not allow for the three basic options, serving three distinctly different purposes, it would amaze me. Perhaps the pdf options in Textmaker need reconsideration?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Sorry if I have been unclear. You may either set an opening password (then the recipient will be asked for the password) and/or a password for setting access rights. The latter must be set to change the access rights, but this does not mean the user will have to enter any password.

Some PDF editors will allow changing the access rights only when the Set Access Rights password is entered.

So, simply set the second password, set the protection options you wand, and you are set.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks! The support is much appreciated.

While thinking about the pdf protection dialog some more, it dawned on me that the Permissions and their check/uncheck boxes could possibly be activated by entering a password only into the "Passwords to set permissions" box. This proved to be correct.

The experimental pdf's I have now created don't quite behave in the way I am used to. For instance, the text contained in a pdf set to deny copying to the clipboard will highlight when selected. However, the selected contents will not copy to the clipboard. So functionally there is no real issue.

I am not pdf-literate and only understand a few basics in layman's language.

What is 40 bit encryption versus 128 bit encryption? Why should I choose the one rather than the other in a given case? I often want to make a pdf as light as possible in terms of bytes, but still acceptable in terms of clarity and definition.

In OpenOffice I used set the quality up and down in percentage points, depending on the pdf and what it was intended for. The higher the quality, the heavier the file. Is there any pdf quality setting of the same nature in Textmaker?

I attach a screenshot of a pdf protection setting that allows reading the pdf without a password but denies copying of the contents.
Attachments
Setting up pdf features.JPG
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:21 pm

In theory, the number of bits in the encryption won't affect the file size. However, it affects the encryption/decryption time a bit.
The most important issue is the time it would take to brute-force crack each file. At one billion attempts per second:
40-bit will be broken in about 9 minutes.
56-bit will be broken in about a year.
128-bit will be broken in about 5,783,128,169,837,158,197,871 years.
256-bit will never be broken, for all practical purposes.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”