How do I wrap text around a picture placed inside a text frame?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

How do I wrap text around a picture placed inside a text frame?

Post by ecbritz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:30 am

A Textmaker text box should be able to contain a picture (it can) and the text in the text box should be able to wrap around the picture. I don't seem to be able to do this.
Last edited by ecbritz on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Alfred

Re: How do I wrap text around a picture placed in a text box?

Post by Alfred » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 am

If you choose 'Object > New Picture...' it inserts the picture "inline" in the text, like inserting a picture at the text cursor in Serif PagePlus. To insert a picture which is detached from the text, you need to choose 'Object > New Picture Frame...' instead.

The 'Contour' text wrapping option seems to follow the outline of a round picture frame's rectangular bounding box, instead of wrapping tight to the picture frame as I would expect.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

ecbritz

Re: How do I wrap text around a picture placed inside a text frame?

Post by ecbritz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:38 am

Please note that I do not have a problem with wrapping text around pictures in the normal editing mode. I'm talking about positioning a picture inside a text box ("text frame") containing text. I don't succeed in adding a picture to text inside a text frame with the text wrapping around the picture, and with wrap margins providing space between text and picture. Inside a text frame, the picture (or picture frame) seems to be superimposed on the text, with the text running behind it. No wrap setting done on the picture seems to work.

I'm sure there must be a simple explanation and a simple fix. Would you consider creating a text frame, add some text, then add a picture, then wrap the text around the picture inside the text frame, and tell me how you did that? I would really appreciate your advice.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jim-J

Post by Jim-J » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:42 pm

Hello,

the wrapping options of a frame object relate only to the body text.

What you want to do must be done differently. Select the text box and click with the right mouse button into it. Select "Properties". Invoke "Inner text->Overlapping objects" and select the right Wrap text option. Then hit OK. See the screenshot.
Attachments
inner_text_wrapping.png
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks! This works and is what I needed to know.

So this is procedure:

To wrap text typed inside a text frame around a picture positioned in or dragged into the same text frame, follow these steps:

1. First create the text frame: Object > New Text Frame
2. Fill the text frame with text as desired
3. Position the mouse pointer on the outline (view line) of the created text frame
3. Then do Right-Click > Properties > Inner text ... Overlapping objects
4. Choose between "Ignore object" and "Wrap text". I.e. select "Wrap text" if you want to wrap the text typed into the created text frame around a picture positioned in or dragged into the frame.

Note: Any picture or other object overlapping the created text frame will be text-wrapped if you select "Wrap text". If the object partly overlaps the text frame, the overlapping part will be wrapped. In other words, apart from text-wrapping a picture positioned inside the text frame, a special effect can be achieved by partly overlapping a text frame and a picture frame.

I hope this helps to resolve the problem for other users as well.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:47 pm

I still can't see how to achieve an irregular or 'Contour' text wrap like the attached. :(
Attachments
Irregular-Wrap.png
EZ-as-ABC.png
EZ-as-ABC.png (17.77 KiB) Viewed 7192 times
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:28 pm

For me, this works perfectly.
Attachments
Contour wrapping inside box.tmd
(36.32 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:04 am

Vielen Dank, Jossi! I think I had previously tried to use only the text frame properties, not also the picture frame properties. It still didn't work the first time I followed your instructions just now, but maybe I placed something incorrectly. Anyway, I should know what to do next time. 8-)

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”