Problem with Textmaker & hardware keyboard

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker Mobile for Android.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

happycheesecake

Problem with Textmaker & hardware keyboard

Post by happycheesecake » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi

I've got two Asus Transformer's - a TF101 and TF300T. Both are showing the same issue whereas pressing cursor up or down whilst the cursor is in a long paragraph using the Asus dock keyboard. The cursor will jump either two lines or down and across a number of characters rather than directly down to the character under the current cursor position...

I'm opening the Word 2010-saved docx document from Dropbox; I've added an example test document which has the issue (using text from the BBC News website)

Any ideas? Thanks
Attachments
Test.docx
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

happycheesecake

Re: Problem with Textmaker & hardware keyboard

Post by happycheesecake » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Looks like I'm talking to myself here.

OK, tried Textmaker on my 3rd Android tablet - a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 connected to an HP Bluetooth keyboard. And the issue still occurs. Pressing cursor down doesn't make the cursor go directly down a line, it goes down and jumps a few characters to the right. But only with paragraphs with more than 3 lines.

donone

Re: Problem with Textmaker & hardware keyboardL

Post by donone » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 am

I have an Asus TF300T and tested for your problem. I discovered some slight sidewise movement similar to what you suggest however... apart from large changes at the last line of a paragrah which would be expected and happens in all versions of Textmaker my conclusion was that it is natural and is due to the use of proportional fonts. I am sure that you are aware of the difference between monospaced and proportional and I did not test the former, but if the cursor is to move vertically and it falls on a character due to that proportionality then it must move sidewise. This might be worse if justification is used or perhaps even some other kind of spacing in addition to the proportional width of character 'boxes'.

This is only a suggestion not a conclusion. Perhaps you could try Courier font which is monospaced, especially if you are using this for programming listings which of course require accurate up down cursor movement as if in character columns.

happycheesecake

Post by happycheesecake » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi Donone, thanks for replying.

Unfortunately what you're describing is not happening on my Asus Transformer (nor my Galaxy Note 10.1 either). Here's what I see:

1. I load the previously attached document from my DropBox account into TM; at this point the cursor is beside the "D" of Double ... i.e. the first word of the first paragraph.
2. I press the cursor down key, and the cursor jumps to between the words "has" and "newly" in the second line; but this is not directly under the D of the previous line, its 3/4 of the way across the second line!
3. I press the cursor down key again, the cursor jumps to the "o" of "out" at expected ... i.e. the first word of the 3rd line.
4. I press the cursor down key again, the cursor jumps to the "w" of "without" as expected ... i.e. the first word of the 4th line.
5. I press the cursor UP key; it jumps from the 4th line to the 2nd between the word "the", roughly a 1/3 of the way across the second line.

I hope this makes sense as the cursor isn't moving to the position I expected; and the other Office product I have installed - "OfficeSuite Pro 6" works fine with that document, as does Office 2010 and TM for Windows.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Due to the way keyboard handling is implemented currently, the Cursor Up and Cursor Down keys might not move to the place you expect. We have now found a better way to handle this, and it will be included in the next service pack which is due quite soon.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

happycheesecake

Post by happycheesecake » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks for the update, Martin.

happycheesecake

Post by happycheesecake » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am

Just confirming that the latest release (22nd Oct 2012) - rev 672.1015 - has fixed this issue - thanks!

Return to “TextMaker Mobile for Android”