Softmaker .deb?

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
carandol

Softmaker .deb?

Post by carandol »

Is there presently any repository of Softmaker program .deb files for Linux? I'm using Ubuntu (Feisty), and it would be nice to be able to install and upgrade automatically, rather than having to personally juggle icons and commands in order to get it working without the command line. It would make it easier for Linux beginners too!
carandol
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Our software should work with every distribution. That's why we only provide a tarball.
Maybe we can find a better solution in future, which also work on all distributions.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Post by carandol »

Tobias-L wrote:Our software should work with every distribution. That's why we only provide a tarball.
Maybe we can find a better solution in future, which also work on all distributions.
I'm not really grumbling :-) I was just thinking it would make it easier for beginners to Linux if the software set itself up on the menu with its icons in place rather than the user having either to have to learn how to do this, or to continue to use command mode to run it. I'm trying to persuade my friends to use Linux, and this is the sort of thing that puts them off! :-)
carandol
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Yes, we know. An easier installation would be nice, but it's hard to implement to be able to run on almost any Linux distribution.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Temcat

Post by Temcat »

Tobias-L wrote:Yes, we know. An easier installation would be nice, but it's hard to implement to be able to run on almost any Linux distribution.
Seems like BitRock Installer (bitrock dot com) is exactly what you need! Also, Autopackage (autopackage dot org) is worth checking.
kampion998

Re: Softmaker .deb?

Post by kampion998 »

Ahem! That is why I've not installed it on Ubuntu 7.04. I'm new to it and I certainly am not good with it yet.
chazco

Post by chazco »

Yes, we know. An easier installation would be nice, but it's hard to implement to be able to run on almost any Linux distribution.
How about continuing to offer the tarball as the standard installation method, but also providing a .deb for those using Linux distributions which support it?

Providing a .deb package would be a welcome improvement for an already great product. I've already made one for my own use which works well on Ubuntu 7.10 and possibly other versions/distributions. It installs the files to /opt, creates menu entries and even .tmd and .pmd file associations with icons. It also supports un-installation. If SoftMaker are interested in developing it further I can provide them with the source/scripts. :)
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

chazco wrote:[...]

It installs the files to /opt, creates menu entries and even .tmd and .pmd file associations with icons. It also supports un-installation. If SoftMaker are interested in developing it further I can provide them with the source/scripts. :)
That would be great. Please send everything (max. 4 MB) to forum(at)softmaker.de so we can take a closer look.

kampion998: Simply unpack the TAR archive using your favourite archiver and start up the file textmaker or planmaker.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

chazco

Post by chazco »

Sent, hope it turns out to be useful :)
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Thanks. Maybe we will provide .deb files for Office 2008 for Linux.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

kampion998

Post by kampion998 »

Has anyone tried Softmaker with Puppy or DSL distros?

Return to “Water Cooler”