fontman under Windows 7

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
keith

fontman under Windows 7

Post by keith »

Running from the CD I get the following:

Registry could not be opened for SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Type 1 Installer\Type 1 Fonts

If I ignore this and attempt to install a font (tried several) I get:

Write error. Disk full or insufficient rights to write in the destination folder

Any pointers?

Best wishes,
Keith
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: fontman under Windows 7

Post by sven-l »

Please right click on the fontman.exe and open the properties. Select "Run as Administrator" and ignore the error message that will appear then. Now you should be able to install all fonts using the font manager.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
jiminlasvegas

Post by jiminlasvegas »

Steve,
I used the fix that you described. Opened the CD in Win Explorer. Clicked on the fontman, right clicked it and told it to run as administrator, ignored the warning and the font manager came up. I told it to download and font, it started, and, after 5 miniutes of looking at the non-responding program I blasted out of it.

Any ideas, BTW the program works fine on my OLD XP laptop.

This works the same when I am logged on as Administrator and my power user account.

Thanks for all.
Jim King
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Could be a problem with your CD-ROM when it tries to read the CD but fails. You can also copy the font file from your XP machine to the Windows 7 PC. The fonts are in C:\WINDOWS\fonts.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

You could also copy the content of both CD-ROMs to one folder of your hard disk (ignore any files and folders with conflicting names -- they have the same content on both CDs) and try to run fontman.exe from the hard disk.

Alternatively, the main fonts are in ZIP files in the standard.ttf folder. Use Explorer to browse to standard.ttf, double-click on a ZIP file with a font you wish to install, and then you can extract and install it by right-clicking and choosing "Install" from the popup menu.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
jiminlasvegas

Post by jiminlasvegas »

Martin,

Don't want to sound ungrateful, but, fontman.exe was written in 2006 and has a problem with WIN7 and maybe WIN8. While the fixes mentioned above are easy to do for "us", commonly known as a "kluge", how about a newbie that is not comfortable with WIN explorer (to run as an administrator) or zip files.

You might want to talk to the powers to be about updating the fontman.exe program. Just my 2 bits.

Thanks,
JiminLasVegas
Reg Vensene

Post by Reg Vensene »

I have just purchased the Megafont XXL2, and I am getting the same message regarding the registry, even when I run the Fontman.exe directly from the CD (as an administrator). .

I had another error message, this time regarding the ZIP.DLL, but I have not been able to repeat this. :?

A further error message related to a problem saving a CFG file in the Windows folder.

Another restriction seems to be creating font groups. Granted, I am not sure how these are supposed to work, as I have not yet found a manual or help file. But I would have thought that the groups should be remembered from one session to the next. Perhaps this bug relates to the inability to save the CFG file.

:?: When will the program be updated? (And how will we obtain this?)

At the very least there should be some information regarding the problems so that a prospective purchaser has the full information before laying out money. However, even this will not help existing users in my situation.

It is a shame that the Font Manager problems mar the experience of managing such an impressive range of fonts. Especially as the control advertised by the Font Manager was the deciding factor for me to make the purchase.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

There is no time frame for an update of the Megafont font collection but we will inform you as soon as a new version is available. Despite the error messages it should be possible to install the fonts as long as you start the fontman.exe as administrator.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Water Cooler”