Samsung Officially Launches Bada Mobile Platform

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
erika

Post by erika »

Hello,

Since BADA is Linux based, can we easily run SoftMaker Office Linux on it? Please provide us some test info. By the way, Samsung lets software providers to sell apps on a 70-30 profit model. You can sell you office via Samsung for cheap decent price and make too much money out of it if it works on Bada.

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/ ... -platform/

Nearly a month after it first announced it, Korean giant Samsung has officially released Bada, its Linux-based, open source mobile platform that's set to take on rival operating systems such as Windows Mobile, Symbian and Android, all of which are already sold by Samsung.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Samsung Officially Launches Bada Mobile Platform

Post by sven-l »

Hello,

SoftMaker Office does unfortunately not run on mobile Linux systems. It needs a desktop Linux.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
erika

Post by erika »

What's the rationale for not supporting mobile Linux? I think you are doing another big mistake as you did by ignoring iPhone.
EricC

Post by EricC »

erika wrote:What's the rationale for not supporting mobile Linux? I think you are doing another big mistake as you did by ignoring iPhone.
With all due respect, are you familiar with running a business? I have seen from you in various posts that SM should support platform or that platform. Running a business regularly involves cost/benefit analysis (aka risk/reward), especially with a small company like SM. So just because they don't agree with you does not mean they are making a mistake.
ari-free

Post by ari-free »

I'm guessing that the biggest problem for all these mobile platforms is the UI. It's much easier to transfer a mouse based UI to a stylus based UI but the other mobile platforms have touch based UI's.
erika

Post by erika »

Please don't be in defensive mode! In portfolio management, you need to select the most profitable business style once you have limited resources.

Question: Which mobile OS platform would more lucrative for your office software business? You should answer, not me.

What you made sounds generic executive useless comment to me. Please explain us that why you have only %0.3 market share in Germany even though you were a native German company.

Envy EvermoreSw company. If I am not mistaken, they have %double_digit market share in China since they are Chinese software house.
JSR

Post by JSR »

What's the advantage of Bada over Android?

I recently upgraded my old phone to a Samsung smartphone running Android and it seems like a great device to me.

Why would they spend time and effort on a new platform (Bada) in some vain effort to try and compete in the same marketplace as Android, iPhone, Windows Mobile, and Symbian? Do they have any chance of succeeding? I don't think so.

Return to “Water Cooler”