Project Planning tools?

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
mshideler

Project Planning tools?

Post by mshideler »

Are there any plans to compete/blow Microsoft out of the water with a Project Management program? Or possibly add a few features to PlanMaker that can give some ability to handle some PM tasks?

There are some free tools out there but they are not for the novice (i.e. installing Python or JRE and executing the initial startup from a command line, lack of good documentation, etc. so free is no competition). However, MS Project costing around $600 for a new edition and $400 for an 'upgrade' for the 'standard' edition and $600/$1000 for the Professional (ability to work in a server environment with Project Server).

There is no real gap filler. It's either free and marginal at best, or nice and Microsoft expensive.

The closest thing I did find that is a possible tool is ToDoList but that is more of a 'Get it Done' type of tool. While you can do quite a bit with it there are key features not there as it was not intended to be a project management program. Features like various charting (gantt, etc) or reporting methods are not there.

I did a search in the forums and only found one hit regarding a Project Management tools and that was almost 4 years ago.

I would think that such a tool would be quite popular if it met or exceeded MS Project for a lower cost such as your current office suite.

Many thanks in advance, and keep up the great work with your software!

MShideler
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Project Planning tools?

Post by sven-l »

Currently there are no plans to develop an Project Planning tool like MS Project.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
usdcs

Re: Project Planning tools?

Post by usdcs »

I would like to see a Project Management offering from SoftMaker.

But, until then, you might want to check out Plan for Windows by Twiddlebit.

Code: Select all

http://www.twiddlebit.com/
The cost is currently $39.95. (I'm not connected to the company. I'm just a customer.)

Return to “Water Cooler”