Support for Google Android mobile device operating system

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
ArnaudK
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Support for Google Android mobile device operating syste

Post by ArnaudK »

I also support that idea. Android gains momentum and will be surely the major OS for Mobile devices.
JSR

Post by JSR »

I see the blog for Softmaker Android, re: http://softmaker.com/english/blog/?p=147

What version of Android will be required? There are a number of cheap Android 1.6 or 2.1 tablets doing the rounds right now. Will Softmaker Android run on them, or will a newer version of Android be required?

I'd get myself a tablet for Christmas if I knew Softmaker would run on it (eventually).
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

SoftMaker Office for Android will run with Android 1.6 or higher.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
JSR

Post by JSR »

sven-l wrote:SoftMaker Office for Android will run with Android 1.6 or higher.
That's great news, thanks!
srmz

Post by srmz »

Wanting desperately to shift to Android from Windows Mobile 6.5.

But will not do that till SoftMaker is available for the Android Platform.

Just wanted SoftMaker to know that I am wating anxiously for this to arrive and just to add my vote of support for Android Softmaker.

I am using Softmaker on the WM for the last 4 years and nothing available on Android comes even close to Softmaker.
sinistra

Post by sinistra »

Android is free software, SoftMaker is not. How is that going to work? You will probably have to wait until someone writes an Android Application for SoftMaker not the other way around then it would probably only work with the older versions of SoftMaker that are now 'free' as it were.

S.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

A free software platform doesn't necessarily mean all application programs have to be free also. Linux is free software, too, but SoftMaker Office for Linux isn't free.
sinistra

Post by sinistra »

OK I see you're waiting for SoftMaker to create an app they can sell you, to use with Android, not the other way around. Would SoftMaker do that? I didn't know they made apps for smart phones. Opera for instance has a nice bowser I can use with my un-smart phone. Opera you know is non-free software but doesn't cost money. SoftMaker is also non-free software that does.
S.
jjtjp

Post by jjtjp »

First post! Just joined in hopes of making the cut to beta test this potentially awesome app for Android. Very excited for either the opportunity for beta test or purchase this app. In response to the person who mentioned phones w/out physical keyboards: Android now has bluetooth keyboards working very well, and with the large amounts of Gingerbread tablets available we should have lots of screen real estate to do some decent amount of content creation on those as well. I agree that Softmaker will be the go to office suite when it's released. Documents2go and Quickoffice both leave much to be desired. I just hope that they can release two builds, one for phones and one for tablets, since the screen size and processing power on the tablets could really make this shine!
rangray

Post by rangray »

Hello,

Just waiting for the beta test or purchase of the app for android, may I know the tentative dates when this will be made available, I use Samsung Galaxy Tab p100.

Hope the dates are soon..
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

You are already member of the beta testers and have access to the Android forum. There is no release date yet for the final release.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
yelsom

Post by yelsom »

When will Softmaker Office for Android be available as test version and for purchase? Would like to try it for professional use. (Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab GT-P7510)
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

There is no release date yet but we expect to release the public beta at the end of this month.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
yelsom

Post by yelsom »

sven-l wrote:There is no release date yet but we expect to release the public beta at the end of this month.
Thanks for the quick response. I'd like to be a beta tester when available.
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

Having used Softmaker Office on my Mobile PC for long enough and only recently made the move to an Android based smartphone the prospect of having Softmaker Office on it is great. How is the development going? The blog had some info a while ago but not sure anything recently. I am happy and interested to participate in the beta test once you get to that stage.

Return to “Water Cooler”