TextMaker for PalmOS?

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

The beta of PlanMaker for Pocket PCs will be released today, so there will still be a lot of work regarding PlanMaker. As soon as we have the final versions for all platforms we will continue developing TextMaker for Palm.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon »

I do hope the beta for Palm OS comes out already. The Zaurus version is out now for private beta, isn't it? I'm still waiting... :shock:
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Yes the version of TextMaker for the Sharp Zaurus devices is in private beta testing. This version contains a lot of new code we need for the Palm version.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon »

So, definitely there would still be a Palm OS 5 version. Great! So the beta for Palm OS is also nearing release provided that the Zaurus version goes well. I just can't wait to see it running on my left-out Tungsten T :-o . Please don't forget to include me in the future private beta testing. Thanks for the reply!
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

sunmoon wrote:Please don't forget to include me in the future private beta testing.
I think we will post a public announcement similar to the one for the Zaurus version, so you can apply for the private beta test by sending a private mail to one of the SoftMaker Team. But at first, let's test the private beta for the Zaurus devices. ;-)
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

tl47

When to expect?

Post by tl47 »

Hi, I found this forum from looking up Textmaker for the Zaurus. I really hope SoftMaker will support the Zaurus in the future as well, but at the moment, I'm stuck as a poor student with a not-so-cheap Tungsten C (a gift). (Maybe when I have enough money, the C-series Zaurus look really good). Meanwhile, I am wondering when SoftMaker would be releasing a beta version for the Palm? I am asking because it could help me decide if I should go ahead with a DocsToGo upgrade (to 6.x) or to hold on for awhile. If we are saying two or three months, that would be nice. If nothing for the rest of this year... then I would have to buy the other product and see if I have to pay up more money for Textmaker further in the future... Yeh, wish I had all the money to buy one and then buy another. Better yet, just get me a Zaurus C-series :). Thanks for any reply...

P.S. BTW, it would be nice if there is a small discount for students or early adopters... ($10 off?) Also, would be nice if there are bundle deals for Palm and Linux, not just with Windows. Finally, any ideas on an all-platform deal? Like Linux, PPC, HPC, Palm and Windows... all for one price, for one user? I'm sure there are some gadget freaks out there that will be made very happy. Personally, I use Windows, Linux (predominantly, except some stuff still not available in Linux... eg. document management/reliable OCR) and the Palm.
josema8

Post by josema8 »

What happened to the PalmOS version so far?...
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Currently we develop the version for Zaurus, and after this it's time for the PalmOS 5 version.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

tl47

Ramblings, DocsToGo and PDF Viewer request

Post by tl47 »

The wait is killing me :wink:

I have tried DocsToGo 6, and trying DocsToGo 7 soon (downloading now). I guess DocsToGo will still be useful if I have the money to spare (I already have DocsToGo 5 after all, with the Tungsten C) because it will support Excel and Powerpoint. Version 7 adds native support for powerpoint.

I hope the general public/reviewers for Palm realises how big a difference Textmaker will be over the current crop of products for the Palm (and thus success for SoftMaker). I am reading with disgust at how many people comment that DocsToGo 7 has so few additional features because it has already reached a "plateau" since it is already very good at Ver. 6. I beg to differ, and many long standing feature requests have yet to make it in. And the features already implemented are buggy. Multi-level bullets/numbering still screws it up quite often --- often enough I am worried every time I use it, because I might not be able to sync the changes back to the PC.

Can't wait for TextMaker for the Palm to spur some competition amongst the relatively weak offerings for the Palm of late.

BTW, after the investment in TextMaker for the Palm, any possibility to request for another app that might help the Palm community? Like a native PDF viewer?!? Did you know that there still isn't one available other than PicselViewer that isn't for sale (except as bundled by Sony with a Clie)?I think that will sell reasonably well. DocsToGo's PDFToGo feature only takes the text, but requires a computer to use. Repligo by Cerience is great, but you also need a computer to convert to RGO prior to use. Bah.
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

As soon as there is a beta of TextMaker for PalmOS 5 you can apply for beta testing, so check this thread (or the whole forum :wink: ) regularly.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

revcwp

TextMaker for Palm OS

Post by revcwp »

Another excellent suggestion from Forum members!

I live by my SONY CLIE & to NOT have to use other programs like Docs-to-go or Wordsmith would be tremendous. :lol:
tl47

Post by tl47 »

Yay! So the Zaurus version is in public beta. How come the mailing list didn't tell me a thing? Hmm...

Anyway, does that mean the Palm version is coming soon? :P
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

At first we need to see how well the Zaurus version works. If everything is fine we will try to do a Palm version, too, but it is not for sure that a Palm version will be released at all. :|
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

tl47

Post by tl47 »

So, hope the suspense will not be kept up :). Palm or no Palm? Ahhh... I hope there is, because I sure ain't upgrading anytime soon...
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Tobias-L wrote:At first we need to see how well the Zaurus version works. If everything is fine we will try to do a Palm version, too, but it is not for sure that a Palm version will be released at all. :|
Correction: We are still working on the Palm version, but right now our top priority is the AMD Personal Internet Communicator. This is a very nice computer, but porting our software there is taking up a significant amount of our time.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Water Cooler”