OpenOffice file formats?

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
LinuxUser

OpenOffice file formats?

Post by LinuxUser »

Hello Softmaker fans,

My #1 wish for Textmaker is support for OpenOffice formats. The big problem I have with MS Office is the closed file formats which deny me access to my own data. I want to get away from those formats. Being able to import them is useful but for data that are saved and stored, it needs to be in a professional-quality portable format, like OpenOffice's XML format.

Thanks!
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: OpenOffice file formats?

Post by martin-k »

LinuxUser wrote:Hello Softmaker fans,

My #1 wish for Textmaker is support for OpenOffice formats. The big problem I have with MS Office is the closed file formats which deny me access to my own data. I want to get away from those formats. Being able to import them is useful but for data that are saved and stored, it needs to be in a professional-quality portable format, like OpenOffice's XML format.

Thanks!
OpenOffice filters are definitely high on our priority list for future releases of TextMaker.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
zridling

Post by zridling »

That's great to know, because I have a dozen or more colleagues who are deep into OOo, although I admit, I hate its user interface, among many other things.
LinuxUser

I'm glad to hear that

Post by LinuxUser »

OOo is a great system, but it does feel clunky compared to Textmaker. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because it uses its own widget set instead of using a mature, widely used thing like gtk or qt. But, the fileformat is great because it's XML and it's going to be supported by many applications (KOffice, and a bunch of utilities). So.... if Textmaker starts supporting that format I will probably switch over to it.

Return to “Water Cooler”