Further CE software development

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
Stevie

Further CE software development

Post by Stevie »

Hi, just wanted to say Softmaker Office 2006 for Windows CE is superb and thanks for continuing to support the CE platform :D
Now that it has been released you guys must be twiddling your thumbs wondering what software to write next. :P
Any thoughts on a updated web browser as the built in IE4 software is now way out of date or an Outlook compatable package that syncs notes etc, similar to Pocket On-Schedule but cheaper. :wink:
I know that an updated Web browser would be well received as it has become something of a holy grail for Jornada 720 users and I guess other CE users as well.
Thanks
Stevie
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Well, currently we have a lot of other projects we need to finish first. Of course, we also have to port these programs, too.
Additionally, the demand for a web browser for Windows CE is not that large.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Ah, I guessed you'd be busy on other projects.
I would have thought there would be as much demand for a browser as for Plan/Textmaker. It really is a piece of software that is highly desired. There is always discussion on the HPC Factor forum about getting Netfront and Opera to work on CE devices. Perhaps I will post there and get people to register their interest here so you can get a better feel for demand.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Windows CE for Handheld PCs is a fringe market that we can only support because we have office software that is rather easily portable to different operating systems. If we had only Windows CE as a market, we could not sustain such software development at all.

A web browser, while a missing piece on the Handheld PC, is absolutely not a profitable piece of software under any mainstream operating system. It would therefore be Windows CE-specific -- and that's we can't do it: The number of active buyers for Handheld PC software is way too small for such a project ever to recoup its investment in work and money.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
JotM

Post by JotM »

Tobias-L wrote:Well, currently we have a lot of other projects we need to finish first. Of course, we also have to port these programs, too.
A Windows CE / Windows Mobile port of Presentations and Datamaker? :toll: Can I apply as an Alpha of Beta tester here and now? \:D/
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

At first we have to finish the Windows version. If the demand is large enough, we will take a look at porting our software. But this will take some time.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

kbachler

Post by kbachler »

Hi,

I am a long-term user of Textmaker and PlanMaker for the Pocket PC. I also have used Conduits Pocket Slides and Westek's Clearvue Presentation Pro to edit PowerPoint on a Pocket PC.

I truly believe that if you port your new presentation software to the Pocket PC that there will be a market for it. Both of the prior presentation packages have shortcomings - Pocket Slides doesn't use native PowerPoint presentations, and Westek doesn't allow copying slides from one presentation to another, or even importing them (if there is a memory issue)

I note that HTC is developing more UMPC devices based on WM5 and WM6 rather than full versions of Windows.

The only other issue you would need to address is allowing your software to drive printers.

I hope the market is big enough for you to do this!
kbachler

Re: Further CE software development

Post by kbachler »

Will Presentations be ported to WM6?
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Presentations will work just fine on WM6 Pro devices (with touch screen). A public beta will be available soon.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

cecrowder

Post by cecrowder »

I hope that you will continue to support the WinCE HPC's. I can garuntee a purchase of the database and presentations software if you do.

Return to “Water Cooler”