Small Purchasing Problems & Suggestions

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
RKanarek

Small Purchasing Problems & Suggestions

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings.

Because of the apparent quality of TextMaker, and the clear quality of its support forum, I took the plunge and purchased the TM for Windows/Linux combo CDROM. With regard to the purchase process, I thought I'd mention a few problems/suggestions. I hope you don't think me too impertinent.

1) I received an email which allowed me to download a copy of TM even before my CDROM arrived; thanks! Unfortunately, the downloaded copy of TM was "Rev 392", and not 394 (which is the latest revision for Windoze). Admittedly, the version of TM is a lot less out-of-date than the trial version of TM, but it would have been nice if both versions were current. (While I do, not everyone has broadband Internet access, or the wit to verify that their brand new copy of TM is actually new.)

2) I purchased the CDROM copy of TM so that I could have an archival version of TM. It would be comforting to think that the CDROM included either the latest version of TM or TM & the latest "Service Pack".

3) I was disheartened to discover that the latest service pack for the Linux version of TM is unavailable from your web site. Since you are having some problems providing up-to-date versions of your product, couldn't you make it possible for astute users <g> to update your software themselves. (BTW, if you could tell me how to obtain the latest TM service pack for Linux, I'd appreciate it.)

Good luck and best regards to all!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
Tobias-L

Re: Small Purchasing Problems & Suggestions

Post by Tobias-L »

RKanarek wrote:1) I received an email which allowed me to download a copy of TM even before my CDROM arrived; thanks! Unfortunately, the downloaded copy of TM was "Rev 392", and not 394 (which is the latest revision for Windoze). Admittedly, the version of TM is a lot less out-of-date than the trial version of TM, but it would have been nice if both versions were current. (While I do, not everyone has broadband Internet access, or the wit to verify that their brand new copy of TM is actually new.)
The version you can download is always the latest revision.
RKanarek wrote:2) I purchased the CDROM copy of TM so that I could have an archival version of TM. It would be comforting to think that the CDROM included either the latest version of TM or TM & the latest "Service Pack".
The CD-ROM version includes the latest version. There is no need for a service pack because the files on the CD are the latest builds.
RKanarek wrote:3) I was disheartened to discover that the latest service pack for the Linux version of TM is unavailable from your web site. Since you are having some problems providing up-to-date versions of your product, couldn't you make it possible for astute users <g> to update your software themselves. (BTW, if you could tell me how to obtain the latest TM service pack for Linux, I'd appreciate it.)
We will send the download link via private mail to you.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Small Purchasing Problems & Suggestions

Post by martin-k »

RKanarek wrote:Greetings.

Because of the apparent quality of TextMaker, and the clear quality of its support forum, I took the plunge and purchased the TM for Windows/Linux combo CDROM. With regard to the purchase process, I thought I'd mention a few problems/suggestions. I hope you don't think me too impertinent.

1) I received an email which allowed me to download a copy of TM even before my CDROM arrived; thanks! Unfortunately, the downloaded copy of TM was "Rev 392", and not 394 (which is the latest revision for Windoze). Admittedly, the version of TM is a lot less out-of-date than the trial version of TM, but it would have been nice if both versions were current. (While I do, not everyone has broadband Internet access, or the wit to verify that their brand new copy of TM is actually new.)

2) I purchased the CDROM copy of TM so that I could have an archival version of TM. It would be comforting to think that the CDROM included either the latest version of TM or TM & the latest "Service Pack".

3) I was disheartened to discover that the latest service pack for the Linux version of TM is unavailable from your web site. Since you are having some problems providing up-to-date versions of your product, couldn't you make it possible for astute users <g> to update your software themselves. (BTW, if you could tell me how to obtain the latest TM service pack for Linux, I'd appreciate it.)

Good luck and best regards to all!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
Some notes...

TextMaker is not always at the same revision level for every operating system because some revisions are made specifically for problems on one operating system. For example, if we find a grave bug in TextMaker for Linux, there is no reason to refresh the Windows, Pocket PC, and Handheld PC versions of TextMaker as well.

However, what you download is always at the latest revision level for the corresponding operating system.

Service packs for Windows are public downloads, for other operating system, you automatically receive e-mails with download instructions as soon as a service pack becomes available.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Water Cooler”