Secure login for forum

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
lastchancesaloon

Secure login for forum

Post by lastchancesaloon »

Hello all,

This is my first post, and concerns the surprise I felt when signing up for the forum and seeing that no secure login has been implemented.
I remember setting up my first phpBB forum over ten years ago, and setting it up to require a secure connection.

Will this be implemented soon? It's 2017; I feel uncomfortable typing a password into an insecure page these days. :shock:

lastchancesaloon
PeteCC

Re: Secure login for forum

Post by PeteCC »

You're absolutely right - this is very poor practice.

SoftMaker should be ashamed of themselves.

:(
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski »

PeteCC wrote:SoftMaker should be ashamed of themselves.
Don't you think that you will run out of language before long; as there are circumstances of profound trepidation, where your statements would also be more pertinent.

I am an advocate of encrypted communication channels and would like to keep their discussion from becoming ridiculous or the whole topic from falling into oblivion.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Does a forum login really need to be secure? I use other forums (including phpBB forums like this one) which do have a secure login, but I don't see any security issues as long as forum accounts are not linked to customers' online store accounts.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski »

Alfred wrote:Does a forum login really need to be secure? I use other forums (including phpBB forums like this one) which do have a secure login, but I don't see any security issues as long as forum accounts are not linked to customers' online store accounts.
If you only see financial risks in the possibility of network abuse, you are cool, but identity theft has more consequences than a mere loss of money. All kinds of comparisons and metaphors come to mind, but I do not want to go through all of that, yet again. If technology exists, that helps to exclude some of the more frequent attacks on user-accounts, why not use it. And when it is simple to deploy, why not use it?

To claim that the secure login were “necessary” required that we knew all the risks, while all we have is just stories told on the media. You can look these up, yourself, then compare. My question is rather why we cannot connect securely to a site, if the possibility exists?
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Oh, OK. Point taken!
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Return to “Water Cooler”