Windows XP still in use?

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
LarryDC

Re: Windows XP still in use?

Post by LarryDC »

My apologies to all for returning to the thread's subject:

Not only do I still use it. I just bought a legal copy. It's installed on the first partition of a 320GB drive that has nine linux distros installed on it.

Why:
I have used Ashton-Tate's Framework II since 1986. The latest upgrade, VII, will still run in XP and I wasn't about to pay for an up-to-dat windows to just run that. By the way for an up-to-date browser on XP try PaleMoon for Atom it runs fine.

I'm a beta tester for Office2016 in Linux. I have always used Softmaker's Linux offerings by preference. The beta seems to be fine so far.
Pawtucket RI EE.UU.
Registered Linux User #305687 (Sparky, Endeavouros, Calculate, MX, Siduction, & Obarun)
delphi15

Post by delphi15 »

XP is still in use with me and will be for some time.
Windows XP is just another operating system. I have a Dell Precision 17 inch laptop that I purchased not too long ago that I removed the installed OS and put Windows XP on it. Why? Because I wanted the graphics capability of the machine to work with the Nikon Cool Scan 35mm slide and film scanner that I purchased on eBay. The Nikon unit is out of production and its software will only load on a XP OS. I have thousands of 35mm color and B/W slides and film from my photography days. I also use it as a second computer in my medical device consulting business. Have SoftMaker loaded, and all the other programs that I use in my business. The plain fact is the only time I notice the difference between this XP computer and the other Window 7 computers I have is when they start up. The fact XP is no longer supported by Microsoft is not of any concern to me. I never allowed any software manufacture to push updates. I like to know about them and will select which ones I believe will be of benefit. I also know that the only thing that drives Microsoft is marketing greed.

Harvey
adibitar69

Post by adibitar69 »

i am not using Windows XP . i am using using Windows 10 which is the latest version. Due to availability of high quality versions available in the market very few people are using Windows XP
delphi15

Post by delphi15 »

adibitar69 their is nothing wrong with Windows 10, if you like it fine, point being, computer operating systems are just that, the operating system. Microsoft keeps pushing them out to keep cash flowing. If you will really look at these system changes from Microsoft most the difference is eye candy.
I have one box running Linux, my server, have had for years, and if I did not have to interface with clients with some programs that are only available to run under Windows I would just have Linux. The numbers for XP systems in us is about 23% and falling, worldwide it is about 35%. I work in the medical industry, and number of medical clinics still are using XP. Why? They use dedicated database programs that were written to run under XP and it would cost a ton to change. The other reason is it just works fine, so why fix something that is not broken. Remember, all the marketing splash is to the home user of computers but the computer companies live off the commercial users, and they are not so quick to change.

Can you find any difference in the performance of SoftMaker Office between XP, 7, or 10? Do not think so.

Harvey

Return to “Water Cooler”