Weird behavior of Megafont XXL in StarOffice7 Linux

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
astroboy

Weird behavior of Megafont XXL in StarOffice7 Linux

Post by astroboy »

Well, I copied a bunch of ttf files to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/ and run 'SuSEconfig --module fonts' (Yep, I use SuSE)

The new XXl fonts appear perfectly in TextMaker, KWord, etc. but not in StarOffice7. Why? In this office suite most of the XXl fonts appear with duplicated names in the font list. For example:

A820 Roman
A820-Roman
TiogaScript Light
TiogaScript-Light
0801 Flare
0801-Flare

and so on...

However, the fonts with just one word name don't have this problem (Opus, Status, Stencil, etc.)

Why some fonts appear with duplicate names in StarOffice7 and not elsewhere?

I digged a bit, so I downloaded fontforge and did a little experiment on TiogaScriptLight (tiogl60.ttf). I noticed in the font attributes tab that the font name is different to the family name (TiogaScriptLight, TiogaScript-Light) . I renamed both fields to TiogaScriptLight, and saved it as a new font. Deleted tiogl60.ttf, rerun ''SuSEconfig --module fonts' and That did the trick: StarOffice7 sees only one Tioga font.

But... it would be an hassle to do this to every font!!!. Besides, I'm not very sure if fontforge preserves the quality and parameters of the renamed fonts.

Is there a way to solve this issue in a practical way???
Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L »

Normally you either display the font family name or the font name, as all other applications (KWord, TextMaker) do, so this should be a suggestion to the StarOffice 7 team. :)
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Water Cooler”