Problem with OfficeNX....saves document but no content

expat42451

Problem with OfficeNX....saves document but no content

Post by expat42451 »

Running OfficeNX on 3 devices like the program a lot I use it mostly on my Samsung tablet. Over the last couple of days whe saving a document and then reopeningit I find that the document is empty...no text or content. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and given it correct permissions but am unable to rectify this. Also please note that it ONLY happens on my tablet......
Open the app. Create a document. The first line of the text is used for the name of the saved document When Iam done click on file/Save and am presented with the Save As menu. I have been using odt format.. Click the check mark in the upper right hand corner. Then SD card/Documents opens in file manager. At the bottom is the first line of the document in an editable field .. to the right of this the Save button. Click Save. Then another window, Document Properties pops up. Summary. File name as was in the first line of the document. Then Folder. In Folder is /data/user/0/softmaker.applications.office.textmaker/cache/10000. I want the document saved in SD Card/Documents. The Folder field is NOT editable. Below this is Title, Subject, Author, Keywords, Description. I have here to fore not messed with this. The Folder field is uneditable. So I click OK. Then close OfficeNX. Reopen it. Ask to open a document, go to the just saved document in the filemanager popup window thats presented. It opens an empty document. What am I doing wrong? Permissions that OfficeNX Textmaker asked for I granted on install. I depend on this program daily. Note that under Settings/Manage Settings I reset everything. Still the same result.

System Galaxy Tab A8 SM X205
One UI core version 5.1.1.
Android Version 13
Kernel 4.14.199-
Knox Version 3.9
Latest security patch 1 Oct 2023.
System is updated to latest on all.

Many thanks for the read.
expat42451

Re: Problem with OfficeNX....saves document but no content

Post by expat42451 »

Addendum
The SD card is encrypted. OfficeNX will not save a document with its contents to the SD card. It will save it to internal storage but NOT the SD card.
Regards & thanks
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Have you tried the latest version that we released today?

https://www.softmaker.com/en/products/s ... os-android
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

Hi Miguel-C

First many kind thanks for your much appreciated timely response. this is truly appreciated!

Today I have uninstalled the program and then reinstalled it from PlayStore. If the latest is there then I assume I have it. I will look at the link.

Again- I deeply appreciate your quick response!

Regards.
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

Reinstalled Textmaker. I can get the program to save documents to the internal storage. The program says it saves said documents to the SD card.... where they were saved before. However open a saved document and its blank, no content. Does a program limitation involve the program being resident on the same drive as where the complete (non empty) documents are saved? I had moved Textmaker to the SD card when I first installed it a long time ago but with this recent problem I am loath to try that again.
Regards and many thanks,
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

There are no such limitations. Please try to rename SoftMaker folder and install TextMaker in the default location i.e., internal storage, please don't move it and then check this problem again.
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

Hi Supertech.....
Thanks for the kindness of the prompt reply and the interest in my problem.
I am running Textmaker on a non rooted device. This problem with Textmaker did motivate me to get a decent file browser instead of the insipid garbage that comes with stock Android which wont allow you to see system files, FYI its a browser called FX and it is excellent. this tablet is Samsung (See my first post) and I have not tried rooting it as with most of my past Android devices so....even with a file browser that will show system files, I am limited as what can be done which leads me to my next question.... I assume what we are trying to accomplish here by renaming a folder "SoftMaker" and then reinstalling is to try to do away with the footprint of configuration files from my uninstall/reinstall and possibly corruption from an update yes?? So the way to do this would be to uninstall Texxtmaker then rename any remaining files or folders from Softmaker to something else.....then reinstall Textmaker, yes? Question, where would I find the Softmaker folder?? In apps or /etc or?? Saves me some searching. I will be more than happy to do this.... Again many kind thanks for your interest and knowledge.
Carr
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

In my case in in Internal storage > SoftMaker > Settings
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

miguel-c wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:10 pm In my case in in Internal storage > SoftMaker > Settings
That's where it is for me, also -- even though I moved TextMaker to external storage (SD card).

Samsung Tab A6.
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

Miguel C & Woody
Thanks both of you for the interest and help. I havent had time to address this today but my Softmaker file is in Internal Storage/Softmaker. Tomorrow I am going to uninstall TextMaker and make sure the SoftMaker file is gone after the uninstall, then reboot and reinstall Textmaker. I dont have any problems now with documents saved to internal storage, only when saving to the SD card where the document is blank. I will post back tomorrow after the uninstall/reinstall. Again from being primarily a Linux guy, I know that program updates and syestem updates can break things because of unintended cruft left sometimes in /etc, /bin and in other places as well as leftover config files. I hope that new config files written in Softmaker will clear this problem up.
thanks to everyone here for the kind interest and help . More tomorrow.
Regards
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

OK.... Used the file browser to verify that the Softmaker file was there on internal storage. Removed the program. File persisted. Deleted the file with the file manager. Rebooted. Reinstalled TextMaker. Started the program and went through the initial routine.Enabled All Files access granted. Created a document in .odt format ..... and saved it to the SD card. Exited the program. Restarted the program. Told it to open the document that I just created and saved to the SD card. It opened the document but it was again blank, no content. Created another document this time in tmdx and saved it to the sd card, same result document created but blank....no content. Created an ODT document and saved it to main storage /Documents without problems. Opened the document saved to main storage with content intact. Created some different files with other programs and sent and received them from the SD card to verify the SD card functionality Opened various other documents created with TextMaker from the SD card that I created from earlier this year with no problem at all content was there. Whatever it is over the last revision or two something has changed in the program where it will not save the content of a document stored on the SD card. In file manager or in the portion of TextMaker, when you tell it to retrieve a newly created file from the SD card....the file you just created is there. When you open it...its blank. Still. I really really really depend on this program for numerous things.

Question for the devs..... what other files does TextMaker create in the system on install in places like /bin, /etc, ?? My tab isnt rooted so I am somewhat limited in my access but think about what persistent files that arent removed by an uninstall might cause this....I have run into thi s in Linmux before.
Regards

Edit---forgot to mention this it might help. When creating a document that I attempt to save to the SD card and that ends up having no content -- when looking at the document on the SD card with the file manager, the file size is 0 bytes. Files created on internal storage in this test that retain their content in the saving process have non zero file sizes.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for trying the steps. Please click on ribbon command File | Options | Appearance tab | Uncheck the option “Use system file dialogs” and then touch the ✓/OK on right top corner to save the settings. After that, restart the app and check this problem again.

Please share the results so that we can proceed with further troubleshooting of this problem.
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

First..... want to tell you all even with this glitch how much I like the program. I journal on my tablet most days. On my Linux desktop I use Libre Office and for me switching between the desktop and the tablet are competely transparent. Thanks for all the great work you have done on an exxcellent program.

Unchecked "Use System File Dialogue", restarted the program, created a document and attempoted to save it but in the new dialogue that comes up asking for where, nowhere does the SD card appear. So killed the program and restarted the tablet and tried again, same result, in the file dialogue it shows /Device Memory, Dropbox and Google Drive. Device memory shows the path/storage/emulated/0/ so I figured out that I might look arouind in the /Android folder but no. Under Android I have /data, /media and /obb listed as the 3 folders that the dialogue will see Ah haah media yes? no. under thant I have /com.sec.android.gallery3d /com.whatsapp and /org.telegram.messenger. So I cant find the SD card...... tell me what you would like for me to do next.... Againmany thanks for your kind help and a great program and I am happy to be of assistance.
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

In prowling a little in /SoftMaker/tmxlog.txt----I dont see the program look for the SD card, only /storage/emulated/0 ...........In the log file DefaultDocumentPath=/storage/emulated/0/SoftMaker Also in my perusing I note that the .bak file path is /Storage/Emulated/0. Just from my observations, the program isnt looking for the SD card. Hope this helps. Thanks.
expat42451

Post by expat42451 »

Also note that when you uncheck Use system file dialogues you loose the ability to access or read documents or anything saved on the SD card. The SD card cant be seen at all when unchecking Use system file dialog.

Return to “TextMaker NX for Android”