Font loading

rlhankins

Font loading

Post by rlhankins »

I am attempting to load the free fonts that SoftMaker sent so I can use them in TextMaker. I am running Office in Linux Mint.

I have searched for a file folder to copy the TrueType files, right clicked on the individual font file to see if there is an install feature, searched the help files and looked at the website for a font package to see if there were install instructions there. Install instructions were present with the font package website, but they were for PC and Mac only - no Linux of any type.

Some sort of list of steps to follow would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your help in advance.
lgsl

Re: Font loading

Post by lgsl »

There are several ways you can install fonts.
1. Double click the font. The file manager should ask you if you want to install it. If no font view is present then you'll have to install one like kfontview or gnome-font-viewer.
2. If you are using KDE you can install them from System Settings.
3. Manually: by coping the desired fonts and pasting them in the .fonts (This is a hidden folder in your home directory. IF the folder is not present you can create it).
4. Using font managers like fontbase.

Important note: Do not install all the font catalog. Only install what you need. Installing all fonts will slow down your system. Some applications may crash by trying to load all available fonts. This is why Font Managers where created.
Last edited by lgsl on Mon May 27, 2024 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlhankins

Re: Font loading

Post by rlhankins »

Thanks lgsl! I will give these methods a try.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Linux”