Flatpak package - Request

Post here topics for SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
sigulete

Flatpak package - Request

Post by sigulete »

Hi,

Is there a plan to offer SoftMaker as a flatpak package accessible from Flathub?

It would make the Linux offering easier to maintain as you don't have to deal with multiple distributions and dependencies.
If SoftMaker is available as a flatpak, all dependencies can be updated to an ideal environment bringing the best of this software to most Linux distributions.

This would also be easier to consume, in particular when using immutable distributions that seem to be the trend and the future.
lgsl

Re: Flatpak package - Request

Post by lgsl »

While it could be convenient for those who relies on flatpak for SM Office to be there, is important to notice too that not everyone like flatpaks, hence non-flatpak versions would need to keep being maintained anyhow. Not to mention that while the flatpak ecosystem has some advantages, as you point out, also have weaknesses that can be quite annoying.

Reality of packaging for different distributions is not as complex as you think. Once you have your deb/spec file working correctly the process can be automatic, all you need is to trigger a new build. It does gets tricky with distributions that use alternatives to glibc and other non-standard libraries. That's where the flatpak could come handy.

I think your request is reasonable, only if the current offering still remains and SM Office is not locked into a flatpak/snaps scheme.
sigulete

Post by sigulete »

You are right, not everyone likes universal packages. I was proposing to add Flatpak as an additional offering, but not as a replacement of the standard deb/rpm format.

It happens that I also use Vivaldi web browser which was distributed as a deb/rpm-only until now. One month ago, they released a Flatpak version and it works flawless. Flathub page shows 16k downloads in less than a month, so it looks popular and well received even though they have a note informing that it is not officially endorsed. I can foresee similar level of interest for SM Office.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for your suggestion, but currently there is no such plan. I have forwarded this as an improvement suggestion.

Return to “SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux (General)”