A more modern file browser

Post here topics for SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
fadi

A more modern file browser

Post by fadi »

file.png
Your file browser uses folder trees and is a little hard to navigate. Can you make it a little more modern and easier to navigate like this file browser from another office app.
file2.png
Woody44

Re: A more modern file browser

Post by Woody44 »

What's wrong with the fie browser in the upper image?
bombadillo

Post by bombadillo »

They use a more modern file browser if you're using some desktop environments, such as Gnome or Linux Mint
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

So do we when you use Gnome.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
bernado82

Post by bernado82 »

@fadi

I'm using KDE Plasma as my desktop environment and to have a better file selector in SoftMaker Office I add the environment variable "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME" to the application launcher. Alternatively, you can launch TextMaker by typing the following command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME textmaker24
Go to the options menu and check that the "Use system file dialogs" box is selected.

ChipTunes etc... is my public playlist for Spotify (a truncated version is on Deezer also) with nearly 1800 titles and over 110 hours of listening, go to: open.spotify.com/playlist/1juVxm3beomqM38isNZRIj
bernado82

Post by bernado82 »

Unfortunately, the command XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE does not work for my KDE desktop to get the REAL file's selector in all SoftMaker Office applications. If it worked, this is what it should look like on KDE Plasma?

ChipTunes etc... is my public playlist for Spotify (a truncated version is on Deezer also) with nearly 1800 titles and over 110 hours of listening, go to: open.spotify.com/playlist/1juVxm3beomqM38isNZRIj
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

"Use system file dialogs" is greyed out for me
I guess this is because I am not using a Desktop, just i3 windows manager?

Any ideas how I can get the file browser other apps use (I think its Thunar based?)
I am on ArchLabs
bernado82

Post by bernado82 »

"Use system file dialogs" option is greyed out for me also if I launch any SoftMaker Office application WITHOUT using environment variable XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=gnome in parameters. KDE Plasma is my desktop on openSUSE Tumbleweed & Leap. I've used Manjaro a little bit in the past, mostly with KDE but also with XFCE as desktop environment. But with i3 as window manager, I don't know if you have the same possibilities of changing the file selector in SoftMaker Office.

Last edited by bernado82 on Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Thanks!

If I launch textmakernx with

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME textmakernx
then the option is not greyed out (I also tried XFCE and I3, but only GNOME worked)
Then I can set it to "Use system dialogs' and thereafter whenever I launch with

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME textmakernx
the option is remembered and I get my Thunar file browser :)

So, I will now include that in my i3 keybinds =D>

Cheers, and Happy Xmas!

Return to “SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux (General)”