No grammar checker!!!

Woody44

No grammar checker!!!

Post by Woody44 »

Having spent years sporadically fighting with the grammar checker in Microsoft Word, I long ago resolved to just turn it off and not let it interfere with my work. Consequently, a grammar checker isn't the first (or the second, or the third) thing I look for in a word processor. However, I participate in an Internet forum for authors, and I have periodically tried to make other members of the forum aware of both SoftMaker Office and FreeOffice as alternates to Microsoft Office.

One recent discussion addressed someone hoping to break into the field of technical writing. In the process of trying to offer him/her (gender unknown) some advice, I discussed the option of using the grammar checker in his/her word processor to help transition from informal, fiction writing to more precise technical writing. That led me to check what programs other than Word offer a grammar checker. I found that LibreOffice has a grammar checker, although it is not customizable the way the grammar checker in Word is. Then I opened TextMaker 2024, and I was astonished to find that the grammar checker is only available for German.

I don't miss it, because I have been writing technical documents for decades and I don't think I need it, but a LOT of people do rely on the grammar checker in Microsoft Word, and I really think SoftMaker needs to put a robust grammar checker on the wish list for SoftMaker Office 2027. In my opinion, it's an extremely serious omission.

Perhaps you could work out a way to integrate https://languagetool.org into TextMaker?
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: No grammar checker!!!

Post by miguel-c »

Hi Woody, thank you for your contributions to our forum and for your effort in sharing SoftMaker Office with other users.
Grammar check in English is on our wishlist and we'll try to integrate it in the future.
PS: SoftMaker Office NX has a feature called "Review | SmartChat | Improve style and grammar". I know it's not quite what you are looking for, but it may be of help to some users.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Windows”