Suggestion for TextMaker 2027

Woody44

Suggestion for TextMaker 2027

Post by Woody44 »

Maybe it has been implemented in 2024. I had the beta, but I didn't think to look for this feature, and now that the beta is over I have deleted the 2024 beta from my computer.

I'm a self-publishing author. For what I do, I can't deal with the complexity of dedicated desktop publishing programs such as Adobe InDesign (EXPENSIVE! as well as complicated), Quark Xpress (ditto), or Affinity Publisher (affordable but clunky and incomprehensible, and ZERO technical support). A good word processing program, such as Word and Textmaker, can do everything I need to do ... with a single exception:

A properly-formatted book begins on a right-hand page. Right-hand pages are odd-numbered, left hand pages are even numbered. When formatting a book for print, there are many times when you want -- actually NEED -- to view two facing pages to see how the text aligns across the two pages. Neither Word nor Textmaker offers such a view, either as a working view zoom option or as a print preview option.

Curiously, LibreOffice Writer does offer a "Book View," and it properly displays the left-hand page on the left and the right-hand page on the right. But LibreOfice Writer makes the process of showing headers on some pages but not on others so convoluted and esoteric that it's impossible to make it work without manually inserting empty pages -- which should not be necessary. And even then it may not work.

Being able to view facing pages properly would be a wonderful thing for writers. The ideal would be to offer "book view" while in editing mode, but even offering that as an option in print preview would be helpful.

Please consider adding this for the next iteration of SoftMaker Office.
Last edited by Woody44 on Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Suggestion for TextMaker 2027

Post by Jossi »

Hi Woody - good news: the option you wanted (as many other users did) has been implemented in SoftMaker Office 2024/NX.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Only in NX?

That's great news fior some people, but I don't do subscriptions so it doesn't help me. Anyway, I'm glad you at least had it on the radar.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

That's not what Jossi wrote. It is in 2024 and NX.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

martin-k wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:35 am That's not what Jossi wrote. It is in 2024 and NX.
My apologies. My eyesight isn't 20/20 -- I missed the slash in 2024/NX.

Mea culpa.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Windows”