very slow PDF creation on network drive

Post here topics for SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
towo

very slow PDF creation on network drive

Post by towo »

Creating a PDF from a 2-page TextMaker file (with a table) takes an instant locally, but doing the same on a network drive (Windows/Samba, mounted via net use) it takes more than a minute.
While this applied to Office 2021 already (and to older versions) for both PDF and HTML, it seems to be fixed for HTML in 2024 but not for PDF.
towo

Re: very slow PDF creation on network drive

Post by towo »

For the records, I had already reported this behaviour back in 2017, but old issues are gone...
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for your post. I have forwarded the details to our developer team.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Are you certain the network drive is awake? I use a Western Digital MyCloud as an NAS for all my files. If I haven't accessed the NAS for a while, it goes to sleep and any save, read, or open operation then has to wait for the NAS to wake up and spin up to speed.
towo

Post by towo »

A valid question but yes, speedup of that drive is much faster than a WD NAS, and also if I load the file and export to PDF immediately, there shouldn't be any such delay.
I retested anyway, file size 36KB, 3-column layout with one table on 2 pages. PDF size 470KB, takes 80 seconds.
Another file, no columns, no table, same size, 171 pages of 1-line paragraphs, aborted after more than 25 minutes.
Test case 3, 10 pages of 10-line paragraphs, 15KB, PDF creation aborted after 5 minutes.

Return to “SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Windows (General)”