Formatting multi-page tables

JLDP

Formatting multi-page tables

Post by JLDP »

I had hoped that TextMaker 2024 might resolve a long-running problem with multi-page tables, but regret that the problem is still there.

I have a number of documents where I use tables to set out lists of data, extending over several pages. I often want to keep a group of table rows together on the same page, which - in theory - can be done using 'Table/Row Properties/Keep together with next row' (or /Break page at row); however, although this appears to work, when the document is saved TextMaker "forgets" the row properties and next time I open the document I frequently have to set them again.

Creating a new table for each page is not a solution - I need to keep the data in a single table so that it can be sorted. I may also insert additional lines (or more text in existing lines) which would require rows to be cut and pasted from one page to the next, all through the document. And I specifically want to use TextMaker, rather than PlanMaker, as it allows better formatting for a printed document.

This would seem to be a bug in TextMaker's handling of row properties - possibly in the way it is recorded in a .docx file. (I've no idea if the same problem occurs with .tmdx files.)

I am currently running beta ver. 1108 under Linux (Zorin/Ubuntu); the same problem occurs in TextMaker 2021 under Linux and Windows.

--
John Pritchard
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Formatting multi-page tables

Post by raitis.veksejs »

We have to ask you for an exact sample file and a description of what you do step-by-step. Adding screen recordings or screenshots may help us to identify the problem. We have to reproduce the problem to forward it to our developers' team.

If the sample file contains sensitive data you can send it to us via e-mail to forum [at] softmaker.com also add a link to this forum post.

Thank in advance for your understanding!
JLDP

Post by JLDP »

The attached file [JP St Aubyn - works.docx] consistently shows this problem.
At the bottom of page 5, there should be a row "Derbyshire" and three rows following that, the last being "Marston Montgomery", but these have moved to page 6. If I select the row "Marston Montgomery", then 'Row properties' and untick 'Keep together with next row', the four lines move up from page 6 to page 5; however, if the document is saved, this change is not preserved and on re-opening it these four rows are back on page 6.
With page 5 as it should be, the next problem is at the bottom of page 9. The row "Nottinghamshire" should be on the following page, and if I select the row and set 'Keep together with next row', it moves to the correct position - but again this change is not preserved when the document is saved.
At the bottom of page 9, there should similarly be a row "Suffolk" and five rows following that; if I select the row "Clare : SS Peter & Paul" and untick 'keep together with next row', these 6 rows move up to page 9 - but the change is not preserved when the document is saved.
The attached pdf copy [JP St Aubyn - works [correct pagination].pdf] was exported from TextMaker after correcting these page breaks; compare this with the .docx file, which "forgets" these corrections when saved and re-opened.

John Pritchard
Attachments
JP St Aubyn - works [correct pagination].pdf
(180.72 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
JP St Aubyn - works.docx
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

I did investigate your provided sample file. The problem is that you used table row settings which exist only in SoftMaker Office, these are not available with .docx format. It is the reason why these settings get lost when the file is saved/closed and reopened. If you save files using SoftMaker Office format .tmdx these settings remain. See attached document.

To solve this problem, you can use a different table layout or the .tmdx format. You can export your file to .pdf format to share the correct document layout with others.
Attachments
JP St Aubyn - works.tmdx
(56.89 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Linux”