Presentations with embedded fonts

el48tel

Presentations with embedded fonts

Post by el48tel »

This may be an "old" function in WINDOWS but I feel I need to express my opinions of how it is running in this new version of Presentations.
I give PowerPoint presentations therefore I know how important it is for the correct font to be in place in the CORRECT place otherwise the design of a slide can become corrupted, especially if the digital projector has a mismatch with the device running the presentation.
When I saw that the new version of the app embedded the font, I saw the opportunity to test this to my own future advantage. It had REAL purpose.
However, how do you test this? Fairly? Properly? Under controlled conditions?
You need an additional machine; which does NOT have the font set on board; does NOT run the app we are testing.
When I give my teaching sessions, I send the PowerPoint presentation to the group hosting the session or take it with me on a thumbdrive. I embed the fonts. The presentation goes as a distinct unit WITHOUT additional files. It runs as a show. It does NOT build the presentation as it is being shown from the composition blocks.
When I exported my test presentation, the set of folders was enormous; it contained all kinds of additional documents; it wanted to make alterations to the registry of the computer hosting it.
Conclusion is simple. Not suitable for purpose.
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Presentations with embedded fonts

Post by raitis.veksejs »

To answer about your described situation during testing, we should receive from you an exact test case steps, what did you do step-by-step, and also include a sample file also fonts to be embedded. We need your files to reproduce the described functionality issues if such exists. You can send them to us to an e-mail forum [at] softmaker.com including a link to this forum. Received files at our side will be used exclusively for testing purposes and after tests they will be removed from our systems.
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

the test was to determine whether the font is embedded in the presentation, since not all computers in all locations have identical font sets
Font check out.pptx
(90.87 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
is the presentation as saved by the app
Can't get this forum to save more than 3 attachments so the layout will be in next post

Chose the output method
choose output.jpg
you get these set of responses in the default
default settiings.jpg
if you leave it on default the output set folder is immense
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

screen layout of test presentation.jpg
the screen layout should look like this

Is the font retained in the presentation when shown on a remote machine?
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

Ok, we did understand what you do and how it should be done.

To test embedding of fonts you don't have to use export to Portable slide show...
This is to be intended for the case when you have no other presentation application on your computer. (It is why so many folders are included, which include a "minimal" version of Presentations, this is intended for a computer that has no presentations program available.)

To test embedding of fonts you should proceed as shown in the screenshots. You save the presentation in PowerPoint 2007-2021 slide show (*.ppsx) format that is supported on almost any modern presentation program. You have to embed fonts in that presentation file. Invoke File>Properties... select tab Fonts and mark all fonts to be embedded.

To test if embedding fonts really works, you can temporarily remove (uninstall) the font that was embedded (making its backup).

If you want to play a presentation without any presentation program on the target computer then you should export it to Movie... format.
Attachments
HowToEmbedFonts.png
SlideShow.png
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

Thanks.

I'll try the font removal experiment.
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

update ---- this does work