Selected Column Does Not Change when Cell Format changed

Hook

Selected Column Does Not Change when Cell Format changed

Post by Hook »

This is routine in PlanMaker 2021.

I have a spreadsheet with data exported via csv from my music library. The track times are exported in h:m:s, so the cells have leading zeros for hours. In PlanMaker 2021, I select the column, right click, chose "cell", select custom and type in "m:ss" When I click OK, the column of times are all converted to the proper format (e.g., 00:02:36 becomes 2:36). I've been doing this for years.

When I do this with PlanMaker 2024, nothing changes. Very puzzling. I can make other changes, so sheet isn't read only. It continues this behavior also if I first save it as xlsx and reload it. Now here is the truly odd thing. After I do this (and no change appears), if I select one cell, highlight the contents of the cell in the text field in the UI above that shows the current value of the cell and the click a different cell, the content of that one cell converts.

I've attached the csv file in question. The data column is length.
Attachments
RR-131-2023.csv
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
mbb

Re: Selected Column Does Not Change when Cell Format changed

Post by mbb »

I confirm this behaviour. The cells' contents get updated only after editing its contents, either by pressing F2 or highlighting the formula bar.
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

I was able to reproduce the problem and reported it to our developers' team.

Thank you for reporting this issue!
Hook

Post by Hook »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:41 pm I was able to reproduce the problem and reported it to our developers' team.

Thank you for reporting this issue!
This is still not fixed in the current Public Beta. This is something I use quite often and I won't be able to pay for an upgrade if this function isn't working. (Don't read an angry tone there... Staying with the 2021 version is fine, but I would rather let you fine people have more money.) :)

This is why I buy outright rather than go for NX as I assume NX forces updates.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

The latest beta (S1110) offers you now 2 possibilities that work:
1. Select a type in the import dialog for length (like "Time").
or
2. Use "Extended number scan", this checks if a certain type is used in a column.
time2.png
Hook

Post by Hook »

miguel-c wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:40 pm The latest beta (S1110) offers you now 2 possibilities that work:
1. Select a type in the import dialog for length (like "Time").
or
2. Use "Extended number scan", this checks if a certain type is used in a column.
time2.png
Well, sort of. What either of these methods do is make it so what I used to do—select the column, right click, select cell..., custom and specify "m:ss" and ok—still works as it used to. So what you have done is added a extra step in the import dialog, I mean, it'll work now that I know I have to do that extra step. But why? Why the extra step?

I would think if I pick the type "time," the filter could kill leading zeros. Now that would be a great feature and it would actually eliminate steps for me. :D
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

The initial reported problem was that the custom time format wasn't applied and for that reason, our developers' team fixed it.
I don't think it is an additional step, you selected the field data type anyway. PlanMaker can't remove simply leading zeros, it can't guess if users don't need them in this case.
Hook

Post by Hook »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:57 am The initial reported problem was that the custom time format wasn't applied and for that reason, our developers' team fixed it.
I don't think it is an additional step, you selected the field data type anyway. PlanMaker can't remove simply leading zeros, it can't guess if users don't need them in this case.
Except Planmaker 2021 does remove those leading zeros (try it). All I have ever had to do is select the column and right click, select cell, type in 'm:ss" and okay and the format would be changed. I never had to do anything with the dialog box for importing the CSV file. So, yes, extra step.

Why wouldn't one expect setting a specific cell format of 'm:ss" to eliminate leading zeros as it does in Planmaker 2021?
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

I find out that indeed PlanMaker 2021 was able to apply a custom format without additional options. I asked developers about that situation.
Hook

Post by Hook »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:50 pm I find out that indeed PlanMaker 2021 was able to apply a custom format without additional options. I asked developers about that situation.
Thanks. :)
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

I got a reply from our developers' team.

Previously during import PlanMaker ignored the text separator. That's why we changed it (implemented these additional options or steps to be done before importing data) and added the extended date scan.
Remember, the file encloses all data in ", this usually means everything is text, not date.
Hook

Post by Hook »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:31 pm I got a reply from our developers' team.

Previously during import PlanMaker ignored the text separator. That's why we changed it (implemented these additional options or steps to be done before importing data) and added the extended date scan.
Remember, the file encloses all data in ", this usually means everything is text, not date.
Ok, well, I get that I have to live with this change, but the explanation doesn't explain the behavior.

If I do nothing on import like I used to do and then select the cells and explicitly format it as time, the values in the column don't change. But if I then click on each cell individully and then click on another cell, without my doing anything further, the cell I clicked on and the clicked off of changes to the proper format.

The change, the extra step I have to do. isn't a big deal, but the strangeness of the behavior makes me worry that things aren't really working properly.

Return to “BETA PlanMaker 2024 for Windows”