Table ruler display

Devonboy78

Table ruler display

Post by Devonboy78 »

dlezo@hotmail.com wrote: ↑Tue May 16, 2023 7:14 pm
https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=438&t=23264

I'm sorry about the wording I used. I meant to say ruler instead of gridlines. My bad. If you have an open document and you type something, you see both rulers in their entirety on the X and Y axis. If you create and insert a table and then click within a cell of the table, both rulers disappear and only the rulers displaying the length and width of the cell you clicked on or the line representing the cell, is displayed. When working with tables, it is important for both rulers be displayed and a representation of the lines making up the rows and cells be represented in the ruler in some manner (take a look at how Word does it).

Thanks for clarifying that. I don't use Word so don't know how it displays rulers when in a table, but other word processers seem to leave the rulers visible without any problem and if a document in saved in docx format then another can open open it. I'm only saying that because I don't think Textmaker2024 NX is defaulting to Word settings in order to be compatible. It is certainly visually easier to drag lines to visual points along a fully displayed ruler, so perhaps it should be something that developers should consider.
Devonboy78

Re: Table ruler display

Post by Devonboy78 »

A similar problem exists with text frames; if you click on the text frame, the main rulers are greyed out and there is nothing to indicate the actual position except by trying to visualise where the frame is in relation to the ruler/s. You can specify it's position by right clicking on the frame and choose Layout from the dialogue box which opens
If you click inside the text frame, the main rulers disappear, being replaced by rulers indicating length and height of the text frame.

Tables The manual says [page 226] 1. "An icon with four arrows is displayed at the top left corner of a table whenever the text cursor is inside
the table. You can move the table freely by dragging this icon with the mouse." This arrow doesn't appear for me so I can't find any easy way to move a table. I can right click on the table and select Table properties, open the Layout tab then type in a value for left indent but there is nothing to enter distance from top of page.
If you insert a new table it automatically fits from Left to Right margin UNLESS you set the left hand ndent marker and the right indent to new positions. Then the new table will fill only the distances between the set indents. This doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual either
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

Devonboy78 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:11 pm
Tables The manual says [page 226] 1. "An icon with four arrows is displayed at the top left corner of a table whenever the text cursor is inside
the table. You can move the table freely by dragging this icon with the mouse."
This arrow doesn't appear for me so I can't find any easy way to move a table. I can right click on the table and select Table properties, open the Layout tab then type in a value for left indent...
You was on the right way: Select "Table properties" and switch to the Layout tab.
THEN: Enable Surrounding on the Layout tab and confirm with OK.
Result should be, that you have an icon with four arrows at the top left corner of the table, where you can drag the table.
...but there is nothing to enter distance from top of page.
When you enable Surrounding on the Layout tab, you will see, that the Position button to the right of it becomes available. Click on this button to open another dialog box with various options for table positioning.
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

Thank you. Tested that out on a table and can now move and size table easily. Basically my mistake as I'd found about the four way arrow at the top of page 226 but hadn't realised that the bottom of the previous page said 'Furthermore, Selecting the option Surrounding has the following different effects'. Must read more carefully!

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Windows”