Translation not working

dlezo@hotmail.com

Translation not working

Post by dlezo@hotmail.com »

I wanted to test the language translation features.
I typed in the following 2 sentences (without the quotes):
"Hola como estas?
Estoy en casa mirando tele."

Review-> Translation -> I tried Translate Document and Translate Selected Text. Didn't matter because both never worked.
Source language -> autodetect. Target Language was English by default.
Clicked on Translate Now.

Pop up 1 asked if I wanted to continue because translating the 2 sentences make take too long. I clicked on continue.
Pop up 2 asks if I want to save document.
-lets say I just want to see the xlated document and I don't want to save it for now. If I click cancel, its exactly the same as me stating, no I do not want to translate the document. This should be changed.
-If I click ok (to save the document first) and then save it, 2 things happen:
1) it does save the supposed translated document with an appended "en-gb" after the file name BUT, the file has not been translated. You end up having 2 copies of the same untranslated document.
2) No translation ever occurs
stascheit

Re: Translation not working

Post by stascheit »

For this point I may have a solution:

When using Source language - > Autodetect, you have to ensure, that your language settings in TextMaker is Spanish:
a) In the File | Options >> Language tab
b) or also for a selected text passage: Format it with "Spanish" in the Status bar as the current language

Otherwise TextMaker will not detect the language automatically, it looks only for the language that is set for the text.
If your text has English language settings and you insert Spanish text without formatting this text to Spanish, TextMaker will not detect it.

c) For the command Translation >> Source language, don't use the "Autodetect" option, but set "Spanish" manually from the source language list.

I think, this should result in a translation, when following one of the options a), b), c).
dlezo@hotmail.com

Post by dlezo@hotmail.com »

Hi Stascheit,

Your solution worked.
Maybe one of the moderators could pass this along to the coders that auto-detect does not work.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Thanks, I reported the issue to the developers.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

stascheit wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:45 pm
For this point I may have a solution:

When using Source language - > Autodetect, you have to ensure, that your language settings in TextMaker is Spanish:
a) In the File | Options >> Language tab
b) or also for a selected text passage: Format it with "Spanish" in the Status bar as the current language
That may be a work-around, but it makes no sense. Why label a function as "Auto"detect if it doesn't automatically detect?

I often use DeepL (also from Germany, I believe) for translations between English and Spanish, French, and Portuguese. DeepL autodetects the input language, I don't have to set it. I only have to set the desired output language.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

This is how it works in TextMaker. "Autodetect" means that it detects the language based on the language formatting of the text.
(I don't think it's presumptuous to call it that.)
In Deepl, "Autodetect" means that the language can be recognized based on the words used.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

stascheit wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:39 pm This is how it works in TextMaker. "Autodetect" means that it detects the language based on the language formatting of the text.
(I don't think it's presumptuous to call it that.)
In Deepl, "Autodetect" means that the language can be recognized based on the words used.
But if the text is entered in Spanish and TextMaker ignores that, instead only looking at some default language setting somewhere else, then it is not autodetecting anything. It is simply defaulting to something that was set manually by the user. And, if the text is entered in proper Spanish, using Spanish accented characters where appropriate, then the text is obviously formatted for Spanish. To say that the text is "formatted" for some other language based on a setting that's hidden somewhere is incorrect. What's "formatted" for the default language isn't the text we want to translate, it's the overall program.

This is not helpful. If TextMaker can't automatically detect the input language, then it should not be called "autodetect." There should be a mandatory selection box where the user MUST select the input language as well as the output language.

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Windows”