Spellchecking

HumboldtSteve

Spellchecking

Post by HumboldtSteve »

The spell check dictionary is still inadequate. It is no better than the dictionary that come with the free LibreOffice and not as good as the one in a 20 year old version of MS Word. This is a complaint I've had with TextMaker for years.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Spellchecking

Post by martin-k »

HumboldtSteve wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:49 pm The spell check dictionary is still inadequate. It is no better than the dictionary that come with the free LibreOffice and not as good as the one in a 20 year old version of MS Word. This is a complaint I've had with TextMaker for years.
Please give some examples of words that are missing.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
ricq

Post by ricq »

I suggest SoftMaker do a comparison between MS dictionary and TextMaker NX. That will show the differences and what SoftMaker needs to do. I like TextMaker very much and I'm tired of "issues" with MS office, slow loading, bloated interface, etc. Any improvement in TextMaker will make it and ever better word processor than MS.
HumboldtSteve

Post by HumboldtSteve »

martin-k wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:18 pm
HumboldtSteve wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:49 pm The spell check dictionary is still inadequate. It is no better than the dictionary that come with the free LibreOffice and not as good as the one in a 20 year old version of MS Word. This is a complaint I've had with TextMaker for years.
Please give some examples of words that are missing.
You asked for it:
aesthetics
alright
awestruck
backlit
bath
broccolis
bullshit
carjacked
caw
cephalopod
chaimail
cheesemaking
childcare
complicit
comradery
copse
cozied
crazies
dammit
discernable
doc
dopamine
email
Emir
ethnicity
fanged
farmstead
fundraise
funhouse

and that's just through the "f"s in my personal dictionary.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Most of these are in the English dictionary for SoftMaker Office 2024.

If you have created this personal dictionary for SoftMaker Office 2021, you might want to remove the entries that SoftMaker Office 2024 now has by itself.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
HumboldtSteve

Post by HumboldtSteve »

If the spell checker is being updated, why aren't there continuous updates along with the updates to the software?
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

SoftMaker Office 2024 has a new dictionary and the new dictionary was ready in time for the new version.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
sebastian.schwindt

Post by sebastian.schwindt »

Hi,

Also with the updated version, I have similar issues: Textmaker does not recognize many typos, not to talk about grammar issues. What about adding options to enable LanguageTool or Grammarly?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

sebastian.schwindt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:03 am Also with the updated version, I have similar issues: Textmaker does not recognize many typos, not to talk about grammar issues.
As mentioned above, please share a sample file or such word list so that we can check it on our end.
sebastian.schwindt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:03 am What about adding options to enable LanguageTool or Grammarly?
I have forwarded this as an improvement suggestion.
sebastian.schwindt

Hi,

As stated by others here in the forum, there are many words that are not recognized with partially nearby abusive suggestions for corrections (see attached screenshot):
screenshot-sftm-correction.jpg
screenshot-sftm-correction.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 26917 times
Thanks for transferring my request for improvement.

Best,
Sebastian
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

"groyne" is British English. If you set the spell checker to British English, it knows "groyne". If you set it to American English, you are expected to write "groin".
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
sebastian.schwindt

Yes, that is exactly the reply that I would expect from a good spellchecker. But the TextMaker Spellchecker came up with a very different suggestion.

Best,
Sebastian
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

SuperTech wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:45 pm As mentioned above, please share a sample file or such word list so that we can check it on our end.
Suggestions also depends on the language of the text, so please share the document (as requested above) in which you are getting this problem so that we can check it at our end and provide better solution.

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Windows”