Functions, layers... Oh, my

projshopper

Functions, layers... Oh, my

Post by projshopper »

I truly appreciate the many functions that TextMaker has, but just yesterday to perform a simple task to change the line spacing became time consuming. :o

Meaning, I was going through all the tabs to simply find the icon to adjust the spacing. There is so many tabs and layers of functions that I found myself in a maze. Truly, I had to give myself a break before tackling the task again.

Possible of developing a floating pad with quick keys of the most used functions, spacing, text font / size, page orientation, print / print view... As a writer, I don't have the time in finding what I want to execute, I simply press a key and there it is.

kaye
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Functions, layers... Oh, my

Post by raitis.veksejs »

In my opinion there already are tools in SoftMaker Office you are talking about. To find your needed functions easier you can adapt your SoftMaker Office environment by customizing ribbons and adding the most used functions to the quick access toolbar. If you don't like ribbons, you can switch to the classic menus user interface (again customize toolbars there). You can also assign shortcut keys to functions and use default ones that you can explore in the user manuals.

Here below are some sample links in user documentation:

Customize ribbon of TextMaker:
http://help.softmaker.com/textmaker2021 ... ibbon.html

Customize quick access toolbar:
http://help.softmaker.com/textmaker2021 ... ick+access

Shortcut keys:
http://help.softmaker.com/textmaker2021 ... rtcut+keys
Alikat

Post by Alikat »

Thanks for bringing this up. I have tried customising the ribbon for functions I use frequently. Unfortunately, the icons on the ribbon are too small for me and one of the reasons I agreed to review the beta version was to see whether the icons would be bigger or if I could customise the size. I couldn't find a way to do that in either the version I have or the beta version. I realise I can enlarge my system from its current 125% to 175% to enlarge the ribbon icons but that messes up too many other things.

Al
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

Did you use the function shown in the screenshot?
Attachments
Larger_icons.png
Alikat

Post by Alikat »

Thanks so much for replying with a solution. I hadn't clicked on that option for 2 reasons. First is that I didn't know it was there. I have the laptop system setting on 125% but the ease of access font setting is on 180% which helps me read the SoftMaker tab wording. As a result of those 2 settings the User Interface options box doesn't fully display on my screen, it cuts off just after the 'Quick access toolbar' option without me realising there was anything below that. After reading your message I temporarily set both the ease of access and system to 100%, the User Interface box was displayed in full and I could see the option you highlighted. However, without your prompt, the second reason I wouldn't have clicked on that option is I don't have a touch screen laptop and I would have assumed this option was just for touch screen devices. Would it help to change that 'Touch mode' wording so people like me know it isn't only for touch screens?

Having now seen that second option, and with your suggestion it might help, I ticked it and it has made a huge difference. I can now see what the icons represent and the icons work even though my laptop is not touch screen. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Al
projshopper

Post by projshopper »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm Did you use the function shown in the screenshot?
I do appreciate the selection and chosen the brighter version, although the dark is better when writing for long periods of time.

kaye
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

I apologize for the misleading user interface in the screenshot (it wasn't intentional). My main idea was to make your attention to the option "Touch mode" which is useful not only for touchscreen devices but also when you need larger controls.
Alikat

Post by Alikat »

I'm really sorry I gave the impression there was anything to apologise for. I'm truly grateful for the suggestion because now I know that option is there and that I can use it, it has improved my experience beyond measure. I can now see the icons.

The reason I explained why I'd not seen this option before and that 'Touch mode' wording would have prevented me using the option without your suggestion, was to feedback about my experience of SoftMaker to developers. I thought if I explained my experience in full it might be helpful to developers if they realise that option could be hidden on some set ups and the wording might confuse some people. I wasn't suggesting your explanation should have used different wording or that it confused me in any way.

It is my fault for not writing two separate posts, one just to express my gratitude to you and another with the fuller details for developers to read my feedback. If anyone would like me to post screenshots of what I can see, along with how my system is set up, more than happy to do that.

Again I can only apologise if you thought I was criticising you in any way at all. That was never my intention.

Al
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

No problems at all! I didn't think about the criticism, I apologized for not so clear a description of what Touch mode means for standard PC users.

I'm happy that the clarified functionality helped you.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:25 pm No problems at all! I didn't think about the criticism, I apologized for not so clear a description of what Touch mode means for standard PC users.

I'm happy that the clarified functionality helped you.
I think his point was that -- in general -- calling it "Touch mode" is misleading because it implies to all users that it is only for use on devices with touch screens.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

I also find the wording "Touch mode" irritating, assuming that it enlarges the icons.
But the original idea is: Touch Mode changes the spacing of the buttons to accommodate using a touch screen.

In practice, most users will use this option to enlarge the icons, as it is well suited for this purpose.

By the way: You can enable/disable Touch mode more quickly on the Quick Access Toolbar.
Attachments
Touch mode.png
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

There is also an option on File...Options....Appearance. Select check box on Prefer using larger controls. However once this option is checked, you have to restart Textmaker to apply it or if you have set it and turn it off, again you have to restart.
Once you have selected Prefer using larger controls, you can toggle these enlarged ones larger still by clicking on the Touch mode symbol on the Quickstart ribbon

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Windows”