Beta Hyjacks File Associations Without Permission

Hook

Beta Hyjacks File Associations Without Permission

Post by Hook »

When SoftMaker Office 2024 NX Beta installs, it takes all the File Associations away from SoftMaker Office 2021. I really don't want it to do that in these early stages of testing. I left the boxes that offered to do that during install unchecked, but it did it anyway. Can you change/fix this for future betas?
ChalkyW64

Re: Beta Hyjacks File Associations Without Permission

Post by ChalkyW64 »

This happened to me too - despite not checking any of the 'file association' boxes via a Custom install - and there doesn't seem to be a way to easily reset them all to Office 2021 in one go.

Is there a way to do this (I have tried via 'Default Apps' settings - and it does not work)? I have also tried to 'Open With' Office 2021 - but the files still load into Office NX...
canuck

Post by canuck »

Had the same problem with file associations, also did not opt for file associations in custom instal. Windows 10 default app settings now show only Textmaker 2024 with no option for version 2021. 'Open with' in the context menu shows only version 2024.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

The options in the setup program are about the non-SoftMaker file formats (docx etc.).

The SoftMaker file formats .tmdx, .pmdx and .prdx are always associated with the installed software. But the problem is easy enough to fix: just run the other version of TextMaker, PlanMaker or Presentations again and it re-registers itself silently for these file formats. The general rule is: SoftMaker Office fixes this silently when it notices it is no longer responsible for its own file formats.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

martin-k wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:43 am The options in the setup program are about the non-SoftMaker file formats (docx etc.).
It is those formats which HAVE been hijacked (.doc, .docx etc.). As per the OP - ALL filetypes have been transferred to the Beta, not just the SoftMaker ones.
martin-k wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:43 am But the problem is easy enough to fix: just run the other version of TextMaker, PlanMaker or Presentations again and it re-registers itself silently for these file formats.
On my system, running Office 2021 after the Beta does not re-register associations for filetypes such as .doc, .docx, etc.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

When you open any file associated with SoftMaker Office, it will open in the most recently used SoftMaker Office version, this is a feature for user's convenience.

E.g. you opened TextMaker 2024 while other versions are installed, next time whenever you will open any DOCX (which is associated with TextMaker), will be open in TextMaker 2024 which is the most recently opened version. To change it, just open TextMaker 2021 once and afterwards DOCX will open with TextMaker 2021. Please try and check this feature yourself.
Hook

Post by Hook »

SuperTech wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:16 pm When you open any file associated with SoftMaker Office, it will open in the most recently used SoftMaker Office version, this is a feature for user's convenience.

E.g. you opened TextMaker 2024 while other versions are installed, next time whenever you will open any DOCX (which is associated with TextMaker), will be open in TextMaker 2024 which is the most recently opened version. To change it, just open TextMaker 2021 once and afterwards DOCX will open with TextMaker 2021. Please try and check this feature yourself.
Sorry, but no, it doesn't work that way. If I uninstall the beta, then, yes, opening each Softmaker 2021 app will invoke regedit and fix the associations. But when the Beta is (re-) installed it will claim all the associations and not give them back.

If this can't be fixed I'll need to stop testing the beta.
Hook

Post by Hook »

martin-k wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:43 am The options in the setup program are about the non-SoftMaker file formats (docx etc.).

The SoftMaker file formats .tmdx, .pmdx and .prdx are always associated with the installed software. But the problem is easy enough to fix: just run the other version of TextMaker, PlanMaker or Presentations again and it re-registers itself silently for these file formats. The general rule is: SoftMaker Office fixes this silently when it notices it is no longer responsible for its own file formats.
I don't know if this is true or not. I never use native Softmaker file formats because I interact with folks using Microsoft Office, even though I haven't had MS Office on my computers since 2015. I don't know about the EU, but I would assume most of your users in the US use docx and such, not tmdx. :)

Look, I understand that normally this isn't a problem-- if you install an office suite you generally want it to be default. If it actually obeyed the unchecked boxes in the install program we would be fine, but it doesn't. I want 2021 to remain the default while I am testing 2024. I don't think that is unreasonable.
Last edited by Hook on Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billc

Post by billc »

It seems to have taken the Softmaker and Microsoft formats but not the .csv.
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

SuperTech wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:16 pm When you open any file associated with SoftMaker Office, it will open in the most recently used SoftMaker Office version, this is a feature for user's convenience.

True - this is the behaviour I see IF I remember to first load [e.g.] Textmaker 2021 BEFORE double-clicking a [e.g.] .docx file.

I would prefer to be able to test 2024 and still have double-clicked .docx (etc.) files automatically load into 2021 (as 2021 is ALWAYS going to be what I want to use by default while testing the Beta). Having the program[s] silently re-associating files in the background without asking the user first is not ideal...
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

Now that I know that Softmaker 2021 will quietly reassign default document settings from Beta 2024 NX by simply opening a document using the program's Open command [and vice-versa], it is so easy to start up the default program you want to use, 2021 or Beta 2024 version, open a document from the Ribbon then simply use Open With to open other documents in whichever version you happen to be running in. At least you don't have the horrible problem of copies of every file you want to use saved in both formats, each one unreadable by the other.
If it's essential that a file is only to be used/worked on by your Beta, save it in a separate folder for easy access later. I wish other software writers had come up with such a simple solution to reassign defaults quietly. I have spent hours on other beta softwares only to find that I can't open up work done in a beta on the non-beta software because I'd accidentally loaded the beta version of the program [silly me] when starting on some important project
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Devonboy78 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 am Now that I know that Softmaker 2021 will quietly reassign default document settings from Beta 2024 NX by simply opening a document using the program's Open command [and vice-versa], it is so easy to start up the default program you want to use, 2021 or Beta 2024 version, open a document from the Ribbon then simply use Open With to open other documents in whichever version you happen to be running in. At least you don't have the horrible problem of copies of every file you want to use saved in both formats, each one unreadable by the other.
If it's essential that a file is only to be used/worked on by your Beta, save it in a separate folder for easy access later. I wish other software writers had come up with such a simple solution to reassign defaults quietly. I have spent hours on other beta softwares only to find that I can't open up work done in a beta on the non-beta software because I'd accidentally loaded the beta version of the program [silly me] when starting on some important project
I have to disagree. If SoftMaker apps "quietly" reassign the default file associations whenever they run, that means beta testers are going to see their default file associations changing back and forth on a regular (or irregular, as the case may be) basis. That's not acceptable. If a user chooses NOT to check the file associations boxes during installation, SoftMaker's programs should respect that, not hijack the file associations.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has his/her computer set up to do exactly what I want and need it to do, according to the way I work. Few things in life are more irritating and frustrating than computer programs that change what I have carefully set up to facilitate my work -- without asking my permission, and often without telling me.

I downloaded the beta only a couple of days ago. Now I think I can't install it, because I don't need to waste time un-changing something that should not have been changed in the first place.

Return to “BETA SoftMaker Office 2024 for Windows (general)”