Trackpad scrolling still needs improvement

frmarkfenn

Trackpad scrolling still needs improvement

Post by frmarkfenn »

I've mentioned this in the betas, but the trackpad scrolling still needs improvement.

Most apps now use the trackpad api's to help with the scrolling. This gives a very smooth and accurate experience. It also allows for the flick motion. If you need an example, go to other text or document editors and you will see this. I've tried these word processors: Word, OfficeSuite, Pages, WPS Office, Polaris Office, AO Office and Google Docs, as well as these text editors: GoCoEdit, Working Copy, and Textastic.

Most other apps use this as well: Safari, PDF Expert, Pinterest, Facebook, and Weather.

The scrolling in TextMaker is very clunky and not accurate. The only scroll gesture to can trust is the the quick two-finger swipe. It will move the text up or down about 3 lines. If you try a large two-finger scroll, the text will blaze by and you are almost certain to move past the place you need, which then causes more gesture swipes to go back.

This is one of the few things about the entire office suite, that I think, needs to be worked on. It holds it back from having a great user experience. This includes using a mouse that doesn't have a mechanical scroll wheel (like the Apple Mouse) which treat the scrolling the same way a trackpad does. Anything that isn't a system scroll suffers from this. For instance, the font dropdown uses the clunky scrolling, but the Save As dialog uses the system scroll and is very smooth.

One of the reasons this is so important is that, when I go to TextMaker (which is my default document editor now), I have to switch my mind over to remember that scrolling just doesn't work the way other apps do. I go from a naturally scrolling experience to one that takes deliberate action (and is both frustrating and slower).

For me, this is the most important improvement that could be done to a fantastic office suite.

Thanks,
+Mark
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Trackpad scrolling still needs improvement

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your post. I have forwarded the details to our developer team.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Please share some more details of this problem:
1. Which scrolling modes/scroll gesture is not working well and creating problem? Please let us know the complete detail of it.
2. Please share a screen recording of the problem for better understanding.
3. Does this problem occurring every time or on any specific action?
4. Does it happen with all documents or documents with a lot of pictures and shapes? If there is any specific document with this problem, please share it. You can send us private document to forum[at]softmaker.com with link of this post.
frmarkfenn

Post by frmarkfenn »

I’ve added a series of small videos (so as to keep the length down.

Document size does not matter.
Happens across TextMaker and PlanMaker (haven’t tried the presentation app).
I did a comparison with Pages, although almost any other word processor would work.
Happens everytime.
I’ve tried this on both a 12.9” and 11” iPads. Using The Apple Magic Keyboard, a Brydge Pro+, and a Logi Keyboard, all with the same track pad issue.
I’ve also used a Apple Mouse and a Microsoft Arc Mouse (these use a capacitive surface instead of a mechanical wheel).
Attachments
IMG_2488.MOV
(12.57 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
IMG_2486.MOV
(35.42 MiB) Downloaded 149 times
IMG_2487.MOV
(24.86 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
frmarkfenn

Post by frmarkfenn »

Videos Part II.
Attachments
IMG_2494.MOV
(17.44 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
IMG_2493.MOV
(12.8 MiB) Downloaded 151 times
IMG_2491.MOV
(10.69 MiB) Downloaded 134 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for additional information with recordings. I have forwarded these to our developer team.
frmarkfenn

Post by frmarkfenn »

Its been quite a while now and I was just checking to see if you have been working on this.

I have found now, after using the product for months, that I'm ok using it for short things that might only be a couple of pages long, or when I know that I'm not going to use the trackpad (like when just reading a document and using my finger), but when I go to use it on a longer document, the scrolling gets in the way.

When needing to work on a document that requires me to use the trackpad, an interesting decision has to be made.
  • Do I agonize through it? Is my time with TextMaker and the iPad trackpad going to be brief.
  • Do I switch to something like Word or Office Suite on the iPad? They don't have all the features, but the scrolling is fantastic. This is the only reason I keep those other apps on my iPad.
  • Do I just switch to my MacBook? Problem solved all around, but there are times the iPad is way more convenient to carry and use.
If you could get the iPad version to scroll as good as the Mac version, then that would be the best. Interestingly, even the Mac version doesn't scroll smoothly. It's a bit jerky as well, but it is precise. The iPad version still does the stuff I've already listed. It is NOT precise, and therefore too frustrating to use for more than something quick.

As I've said before, this one feature keeps the iPad version from being great.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your post. Whenever I will get any update from our developer team regarding this problem, I will let you know here.

Because of some technical limitations of iOS operating system, it's taking longer for our team.
Metrimer

Post by Metrimer »

Using the native trackpad APIs, I've noticed that many other apps have really nailed the trackpad experience, which makes scrolling feel incredibly responsive and silky. It feels as smooth as skating on a recently Zambonid ice rink! Plus, the flick motion is a game-changer for quickly moving through long documents or web pages.
I wonder if TextMaker could take a page out of the book of apps like Word, Google Docs, or even Safari, and integrate better with the trackpad APIs.
Also, I came across an interesting article on niche marketplace development that you might find intriguing. It's all about the intricacies of building a specialized marketplace, which could be a cool perspective to consider in the context of software development and user experience.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for iOS”