THE FIRST LETTER OF ALL LEFT-MARGINED TITLES ARE NOT PRINTED

adpd777

THE FIRST LETTER OF ALL LEFT-MARGINED TITLES ARE NOT PRINTED

Post by adpd777 »

TextMaker isn't printing the first letter of all the left-margined titles.
Before asking obvious questions, the drivers of linux 20.04 LTS with a livepatch account activated and the printer Epson L3110 are already updated.
I can print any document without any errors in any other applications or programs.
I can convert a docx file done in TextMaker to a pdf format file and print it normally.
The issue only happens when I try to print a docx file in TextMaker, all the left-margined titles are printed without the first letter.
Example:
Let's say that this are two different left-margined titles in a page of the document: ENTERPRISES and NETWORKING.

ENTERPRISES
Content of enterprises section.

NETWORKING
Content of networking section.

When I print this, the result is: NTERPRISES and ETWORKING.
NTERPRISES
Content of enterprises section.

ETWORKING
Content of networking section.

And yes, it only happens with the left-margined titles, not with the contents or body of the documents. I said "documents" in plural because this issue happens with all the documents that have left-margined titles.
Now imagine that I have many documents with 25 to 40 pages, in some pages I have 2 or 3 left-margined titles and all those titles without the first letter, can you imagine how frustrating is to look how to solve this in many documents with that amount of pages?

The page size: Letter (width 8.5 in x height 11 in)
The page orientation: Portrait.
The page margins: 0.8 inches for all.

I'll be waiting for a solution.
Woody44

Re: THE FIRST LETTER OF ALL LEFT-MARGINED TITLES ARE NOT PRINTED

Post by Woody44 »

Off the wall thought about what to check:

Are you using styles, with a style configured for titles? If so, check the paragraph format for the Titles style and see if you might have set indentation to a negative value.
adpd777

Post by adpd777 »

Yes, but the indentation value is set to 0 inches.
I tried to set it to a lightly greater value than 0, for example 0.02 in and happens the same issue, the only thing is that moves the titles to the right with the first letter missing.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Well, it was a thought.

I have tried to duplicate this using FreeOffice 2021 for Windows and I can't make it happen. Some other thoughts:
  • Does changing the font size make a difference?
  • Does changing to a different font make a difference?
  • Rather than using the built-in PDF export function, what happens if you "print" to a PDF virtual printer?
  • Do you have access to another printer you can try?
  • What happens if you change the titles to a different style?
adpd777

Post by adpd777 »

Woody44 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:36 pm
  • Does changing the font size make a difference?
  • Does changing to a different font make a difference?
  • What happens if you change the titles to a different style?
No difference at all, same issue.
  • Do you have access to another printer you can try?
Not in my house. At the office there's no problem at all because they use all products from Microsoft: Windows and Office, but in many times I have needed to print something in my house to take it to the office for the next morning.
  • Rather than using the built-in PDF export function, what happens if you "print" to a PDF virtual printer?
I haven't tested this. I'm going to try it out and let you know.
adpd777

Post by adpd777 »

Here is the thing, the output of the printing properties is configured by default to PDF and happens the issue described in the title of this topic, but when I changed the output to Postcript, then it prints normal. For sure this is a bug that the developers missed. No need to leave the output printing as PDF if the document is a .docx, it has no sense, why? because if the user wants the document in PDF, has the option to convert and open it with a PDF editor or reader and then do as they wish.

The output printing option should always be in Postcript, not in PDF. I'm pretty sure that if the developers fix this, many printing problems would be solved.

Print > Properties > Output: Postcript.

Issue solved!
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Why should the default printer output be Postscript? I haven't seen anything configured to print to Postscript for at least thirty years.
adpd777

Post by adpd777 »

Woody44 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:44 pm Why should the default printer output be Postscript? I haven't seen anything configured to print to Postscript for at least thirty years.
Well, then the developers forgot to repair a bug that is thirty years old because is the only way that I can print normally.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for reporting this issue. I have forwarded the details...
adpd777

Post by adpd777 »

SuperTech wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:36 pm Thank you for reporting this issue. I have forwarded the details...
Thank you for being aware and for amazing Office Suite.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2021 for Linux”